- fanfictions -

Title : Untitled
Author : Chibi Angel
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu
Parts : 1

The referee blew the whistle. The game was done. Hanamichi turned and looked at the scoreboard. 88-90. The numbers rang in his mind. 88-90. They had lost. They had lost to Kainan with such a short margin. K'sou! If only he had passed the ball to Gori. If only he had passed the ball to Gori, they could have gotten a draw! And then they could win. Shohoku could have NOT lost. Shohoku SHOULD NOT lose. He cursed himself. Why did he pass the ball to the damn Takasago? It was his fault. His fault that they had lost. His fault that Gori's dream had not been fulfilled. Gori's dream... " I have always dreamnt of this day..." His words, so full of hope. And he had shattered the dream. He could not stop the tears from falling.

Wet tears flowed freely down his face. Salty tears mixed with the sweat that was already there.He tried to stop himself from sobbing, from screaming his frustrations out. His whole body was shaking hard. Then, a large hand touched his damp hair. It was uncomfortable, with Gori's large hand on his head, and his consoling words only made him cry harder. His mind repeated the words that his ego did not allow him to voice out. I'm sorry...

The next day, all the basketball players were so tired that everyone slept in class, making teachers from Year 1 to Year 3 get huge, throbbing veins on their foreheads for the rest of the day. Rukawa made his way to the gym immediately after school. He was concerned about Sakuragi but he did not want anybody to see it. He was worried. Yesterday was the first time he saw Sakuragi cry. And he did not like it. Ever since he had met the do'aho, or rather, as he preferred it, HIS do'aho, he admired the way he easily showed his emotions without qualms. Rukawa had fallen hard for the do'aho and whatever the do'aho felt, he felt it too. So when Sakuragi cried, he felt like his heart was ripped apart. He had never seen him so upset before. Rukawa, therefore, decided that he would reserve his energy for the day and arrive early at the gym, just in case the do'aho was there early to vent his anger on the basketball.

However, when he had arrived, he was greeted with the swing of Ayako's Mr.Fan, which he ducked. Why? Just because he had arrived without greeting anyone!? What logic was that? He had always come to practice without a word. Rukawa was oblivious to what Akagi said. Life just goes on as usual. But he did notice one thing. The do'aho did not come for practice.

It was raining heavily outside. The rest of the team had gone home. Rukawa had stayed on to do some of his own practice. When he was done, it was already pouring, so he decided to stay on a little longer. No harm done, and secretly, he had hoped that a certain redhead would drop by despite the weather. He dribbled and then took a three-point shot. Mitsui had failed due to his exhaustion in the game, maybe he could back him up or something. He aimed, and then flicked his wrist, sending the ball neatly into the hoop. Perspiration dripped onto the floor and he decided it was enough for one day. He made his way to the locker room when he stopped at the sound of heavy breathing and a wet trail that made its way into the locker room. One thought registered in his mind. Sakuragi. Rukawa felt his heart quicken its beat at the thought of a certain redheaded do'aho wet from the rain. Calming himself, he went to the entrance of the locker room. It was dark, and he could not see a thing, save for a tinge of red. He could make out that Sakuragi was sitting, with his head bowed. He could have just leaned by the door, watching his do'aho if it weren't for the lightning that outlined his shadow when it flashed. Sakuragi looked up in surprise and Rukawa sighed. He flicked on the light switch, and with a cool expression, looked at Sakuragi and said," What do you think you're doing, do'aho?"

He watched in amusement and disappointment as the surprised look on Sakuragi's face twisted into the guarded and annoyed look he always wore when he was with Rukawa. He snarled in reply, Rukawa's name hung on his lips like venom. Rukawa felt a stabbing pain as he dried himself with a towel, as he listened to Sakuragi ramble on about why everyone, especially Rukawa, should blame him for their defeat. He did not want to listen to his do'aho blaming himself for something that was inevitable. He walked out of the locker room, deciding that his do;aho needed time to think for himself.

Sakuragi followed Rukawa to the basketball court, fuming about baka kitsune ignoring him. Rukawa felt like covering his ears. He did not want to listen to Sakuragi blame himself. He could not take this any longer. He whirled round and struggled to keep his usual monotonous tone,

" How much do you think the team expected from you?"

Sakuragi was caught off gaurd. He was stunned for a moment before replying hesitantly, but Rukawa did not wait for him to finish.

" You think too highly of yourself, do'aho"

" Nani!?"

Rukawa knew the only way to stop Sakuragi from blaming himself was to not allow him to speak. He rambled on about how egoistic Sakuragi was. Damn it! He had never been comfortable owth words. This must be the most he had ever spoken in his life so far. At last, he could not find anything else to say.

" It's my fault that we lost, not yours" he ended quietly.

" Nanda yo!? Baka Kitsune, look who's thinking too highly of himself!" A fist swung out and stopped, mere inches away from Rukawa's face.

Rukawa smirked inwardly. He had always enjoyed the fights the do'aho started. They were the only chances that he had to feel Sakuragi's skin. Acting instinctively, Rukaawa swung his own fist and hit Sakuragi's face.

"TEME KITSUNE!" And the fight ensued.

===========***==============

It was already 11pm. The lights in the Shohoku High School gym were still on. Two figures were lying on the floor of the gym, VERY apart from each other, panting and breathless, not to mention their purple and red bruises.

Sakuragi stared up at the high ceiling. What am I doing, fighting over something like this... and why is Rukawa doing this? Wait a minute. What is he doing here in the first place? I thought noone was here. Hmmm... I feel better after the fight already...thanks to the Kitsune. ARRGH! WHAT AM I SAYING!? THANKS TO THE KITSUNE!!!???

If someone was looking from above the gym, he could see the reality of someone changing about ten face expressions in a second.

" Oi. Kitsune...er....I mean..Rukawa..."

Rukawa's eyes snapped open. Was he dreaming? This was the first time Sakuragi had called him without the tone that said " I'm gonna beat you up!". Somehow, he felt like he had died from the fight and gone straight to heaven. He lied there, silent as ever, waiting for the do'aho to continue.

"....er.... I just want to.....to....say....er...." Sakuragi felt like his whole face was boiling up. He did not know what he was doing, but he knew he HAD to give credit to the kitsune for letting go of the burden on his back since yesterday. He could just imagine steam coming out of his ears...

"............." Rukawa blinked. This was not the loud and brash Sakuragi that he was used to. This one was so quiet and hesitant. He sat up and looked at Sakuragi. Sakuragi was sitting up, his back faced to Rukawa. A long pause hung over the gym when Sakuragi finally got two words out of his throat.

"erm... THANK YOU!" Sakuragi immediately stood up and prepared to dash out of the gym, as far away from Rukawa as possible, when he felt himself being grabbed and pulled to the ground. Sakuragi struggled to get out of his current position ( *note: looks like he's being straddled.) as he cursed creatively about a violent kitsune. He stopped when he caught sight of the ice blue eyes. They were not cold, like usual, but had fire in them. Sakuragi did not like this. This Rukawa was dangerous. But he could do nothing but stare back.

end of part 1

- fanfictions -