- fanfictions -

Title: The Tensai's Devil
Author: Crystal Arie
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Hanamichi Sakuragi and Kaede Rukawa
Disclaimer: Slam Dunk doesn't belong to me. It belongs to Takehiko Inoue.

Part 5

Rukawa's eyes remained unchanged and impassive as he drew back even father from Hanamichi, however, his heart was ramming against his chest in a stinging manner. Shit... He had blown it. He wasn't suppose to make the victim know of his fate until the last minute, and yet...He stepped away as Hanamichi sat up from the bed, a pensive look on his face. Rukawa bristled slightly at the way Hanamichi stared at him.

Finally, Hanamichi swallowed and said softly, "Is it true?" He regarded Rukawa with uncertain eyes as he gripped the sheet on his lap tightly. "Is it true? Kitsune?"

Rukawa faced the wall on his left and inserted his hand in his jeans, avoiding the question and not meeting those piercing eyes all together.

Hanamichi reached out and caught the sleeve of Rukawa's shirt, tightening his hold on it to get the raven haired man's attention. "Rukawa! Is it true? Am I going to die? Am I?" Hanamichi looked so helpless.

Rukawa sighed and nodded slowly, his face still devoid of any emotion. He didn't know what else to do.

Hanamichi's face vaulted at that action, and his hand slacked, releasing Rukawa's shirt. He stared at his hand for a few seconds, unable to believe what he had just heard. Die...I'm going to die...in 2 weeks... He shuddered at that thought and bowed his head, his shoulders quivering. "I'm...going to...die..."

Rukawa came forward and tried to reach out for Hanamichi's face.

Hanamichi reacted violently. He slapped Rukawa's hand away and backed up until his back was against the railing of the bed. He glared at Rukawa venomously and shouted out, "YOU ASSHOLE!! When were you planning to tell me this?! When?! When I'm DEAD?! When I'm rotting away in a coffin?! YOU BASTARD!!!"

Rukawa shook his head, his eyes dull. "It can't be helped. It is meant to happen."

Hanamichi grabbed the collar Rukawa's shirt and shook him back and forth, his face a mask of rage and terror at the same time. "DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU BACK TO HELL!!" He shook Rukawa a few more times then released him. He pushed the raven haired boy away from him and whispered as he bent his head, "I hate you...I hate you..." He bit his lip, and clenched his hands tightly into fists.

Rukawa still had an impassive face, but his insides were screaming. He shook his head. Why the hell should I care? I am a demon. I should play with mortal's emotions and lives, not CARE about them. He was about to make a snide comment, when his eyes encountered something he has never seen before from the redhead.

Hanamichi...was crying.

It wasn't the loud kind, nor was it the sniffling kind of crying. No. It was the kind of crying that would break and melt anyone's heart that would stumble upon the person doing so. It was the kind of crying that was silent, but shouted volumes, the kind of crying that made your eyes look so lifeless and hopeless, the kind of crying that had no light in it...

...the kind of crying a lost soul would do.

Rukawa's defenses lowered, and his eyes slowly unmasked what he felt. He felt disturbed. What do I feel for you, Hana? Why is it that when you cry, it hurts me to see you do so? Why is it that I want to protect you from everything instead of toying with you? Why?... He stared at the shaking form of Hanamichi, and felt his fists clench harder. I want to love you, but I can't...demons may never love a mortal. Hell...we can't FEEL love, Hana, and yet...

I love you...

His eyes widened slightly at this realization, and he moved closer to the crying redhead, his heart jumping at what he had just thought. He loved him...He loved the baka who had flaming red hair, the arrogant attitude, the innocent mind, and the most beautiful soul...he loved him.

Rukawa sat beside Hanamichi and slowly reached out once again for the redhead. When Hanamichi jerked away at the feel of Rukawa's cold fingers on his cheek, Rukawa simply followed Hanamichi's movement until he finally held the warm cheek in his hand. He bent close and dipped his head low to murmur, "I'm sorry...I'm really sorry..."

Hanamichi remained silent, though he lifted his head a notch higher, making his eyes meet Rukawa's. Rukawa's stomach clenched. Dead...the eyes looked so dead...

Rukawa sighed and moved closer, his head on Hanamichi's shoulder, his arms wrapping themselves protectively around the redhead. "When you read the incantation which would summon me, the deal was that when you get your wish, you will die a few seconds, hours, or days later. It is always uncertain. Death can crawl up on you anytime. We demons told the mortals that this would be the secret deal and they accepted it. That is why I couldn't tell you about it."

Hanamichi sighed in understanding, somewhat not blaming his fate entirely on Rukawa anymore. Instead, he relaxed his head tentatively on Rukawa's shoulder.

Rukawa sighed back and rubbed his nose against the column where Hanamichi's shoulder and neck met. "I want to save you from all this...but I can't stop the inevitable...even I don't have that power...but, there is be a way to save you. It's against the rules of the underworld, but I'll do it."

Hanamichi stiffened at the possibility of him being saved, and gripped Rukawa's arm excitedly.

Rukawa smiled softly at the reaction his idea did to Hanamichi, and continued. "It's going to be hard, but, my father's very close with Death, and if I can ask him to spare your life, he might concede. But, if he won't, then..." Rukawa grimaced at the thought, then voiced it out disgustedly, "I can ask an angel to fight with me against death. It won't be easy to persuade an angel to work with a devil, but I promise you...I won't let you die."

Hanamichi loosened his grasp on Rukawa's shoulder and just sat there, a concentrated look on his face. After a while, no one said anything to each other. Then, Hanamichi inhaled, and asked softly, "Why?"

"Hmmm?" Rukawa replied just as softly.

Hanamichi shifted and burrowed his own nose into the column of Rukawa's neck. "Why are you going to save me? Not that I'm not grateful or anything, but...why?"

Rukawa laughed silently at that and drew away, brushing his knuckles against Hanamichi's smooth cheek. He caressed it again, then, without warning, he gave Hanamichi a long, passionate kiss. Hanamichi was surprised at first, then gradually, he too responded to the ministrations Rukawa was doing with his tongue. When they finally parted, a little breathless on Hanamichi's part, Rukawa sat up and kissed the tip of his nose. "Coz I love you."

Hanamichi's eyes widened with shock, but before he could say anything, Rukawa turned around and started fading away, a grin on his lips. "I'll go visit Death later. For the meantime, I'll be watching over you again." With that, he disappeared, leaving Hanamichi looking like a fish with his mouth opening and closing slowly.

Hanamichi blinked then groaned as he fell back on the bed, his mind totally confused and mind boggled.

* * * * * *

Mitsui slowly sat up from the chair in his room and asked his companion in a quiet voice, "What do we do, Akira?"

Akira Sendoh, who was the younger step-brother of Mitsui, and the second hentai in the underworld, made a face that showed Mitsui he was in deep thought. After a while, he blew out a puff of air and said carefully, "Let me get the picture straight. Kaede was called by a human being named Hanamichi Sakuragi to help him get his wish, but the thing is, once he gets his wish, Death will get him. Kaede is falling for Hanamichi, and now wants to change the redhead's fate. To do so, he would have to either talk to Death, OR, to work with an angel, which is against the rules of the Underworld. Correct, so far?"

"Yeah." Mitsui replied, toying with his long, black hair. "What do you think we should do?"

Sendoh smiled that secret smile of his, then shrugged. "What the hell, things have been boring around here lately. Let's help our cousin."

Mitsui's eyes practically bulged out of their sockets. "HAVE YOU GONE CRAZY AS WELL AS OUR COUSIN?!"

"Hey, I thought you wanted to help Kaede?"

"I didn't say anything like that!"

"Oh, yes you did." Sendoh said in a taunting voice.

Mitsui huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "When?"

"When you were ranting to me the whole situation, and you thought in the middle of it, 'How can I help him?' Remember, brother?"

Mitsui blushed at that and turned away. "Whatever. He's the PRINCE, for Satan's sake! And he will be married in 3 WEEKS! Have you forgotten that?!"

"And have you forgotten that he is just 17, despite the decades that have passed, and he will have to marry someone he doesn't love, plus, he will lose his freedom?"

Mitsui was stumped there.

Sendoh sighed and sat up. "Look, he's fallen for this Hanamichi Sakuragi. The least we could do to make his life happy for the time being. He and Hanamichi are very much alike and very much opposite in the same way. It's interesting how this relationship of his will turn out. I mean, come on! He has had 5 summonings in the last 2 decades. A young girl, an annoying kid, an old man, a beggar, and finally, an old woman. Now he's finally got a good-looking, young, handsome redhead. Think about it."

Mitsui stamped his foot, then groaned. "fine...what do you have in mind?"

"Well..." Sendoh's grin came back in full blast, obviously enjoying the idea of playing matchmaker with a demon and a mortal. "For starters...you have to attend the school of this Hanamichi."

"NANI?!" Mitsui nearly fell on his rear at that suggestion. He righted himself and asked, "Why the hell should I?!"

"I would do it if I could, but since I have to handle the work here in the lower grade levels of the Underworld, and since you're on vacation, it seemed like the right choice."

"There is no way I am going to go to that school! NO WAY!"

* * * * * *

A FEW MINUTES LATER...

The Principal of the school smiled at the young man in front of him. "Welcome to Shohoku High, Mr. Hisashi Mitsui."

Mitsui gave a strained smile and shook hands with the principal. "Thank you." Then, he bowed down and went out of the principal's office, seething with rage at being outwitted by his younger brother. He cursed silently under his breath as he walked towards his classroom to attend the afternoon classes. He shortened his hair so that it would look normal, and he didn't like it one bit. It felt too exposing. He snorted. "'Make our cousin happy. Make ACCIDENTS that would make them come together.' Right. Now I have to take orders from that hentai brother of mine."

He rounded a corner swiftly, sensing that there wasn't anyone coming, but right after he turned, he bumped solidly into another boy. He landed on his rear and hissed. Damn! This is why I hate mortal bodies! Too frail!

"Ah! Gomen! Are you okay?" Asked the other guy, obviously the type that wouldn't like to pick a fight with anyone.

Mitsui grinned, wanting to take out his anger on someone, and he found his perfect victim. He lifted his head, opened his mouth, and felt all the words die in his throat.

The boy in front of him was beautiful. He was kneeling down in front of Mitsui, probably checking the person he hit for injuries. His glasses were askew from the contact, but that made him look even more beautiful. He had short brown hair and the same brown eyes. He was looking Mitsui over for any cuts or pain, and when Mitsui met his eyes, he gave a smile of relief. "Thank God you're not hurt."

"A...aa." Mitsui mumbled, feeling a blush make it's way towards his cheeks. He felt strange.

The spectacled boy stood up and offered his hand out to assist Mitsui. "Here. Let me help you."

Mitsui nodded dumbly and grasped the other boys hand in his, feeling a strange jolt of electricity flow into his hand. He stood up shakily and continued staring at the boy even after they have released each other's hand. Finally, after their little staring game, the spectacled guy offered a calm smile. "I'm Kogure. Kiminobu Kogure. And you are?"

"Mi-Mitsui...Hisashi Mitsui." Mitsui felt strange. His body was getting all warm and fuzzy.

Kogure smiled at him. "I've never seen or heard of you before. Are you a new transfer student? What class are you in?"

Mitsui nodded yet again, feeling that was the only thing he could o at the moment. Damn...why is there sweet music playing behind my ears? He stood up straight and answered, "Yes, I am new. I'm in Year 3 Section 4."

"Hey! What a coincidence! I'm your classmate!" Kogure laughed at that and cocked his head to the right. "Well, come on. I'll show you to your classroom. And after that, I have a little errand to do."

"Which is?" Mitsui was becoming to enjoy this boys company.

Kogure looked at the ground and picked up the box that he dropped. He straightened the wrinkles out and said, "One of my teammates from basketball has a fever. I thought that he would like to eat something, seeing that maybe he hasn't eaten anything yet."

"Ah...sou." Mitsui smiled back. He was a good mortal. He had a pure soul, too, as Mitsui can sense. He stared at the box of lunch for a while, then, had an idea. He asked politely, "If you don't mind, is it okay for me to accompany you to visit your friend?"

Kogure raised his eyebrows at that "Are you sure? Don't you want to see the classroom yet?"

"I can do that later." Mitsui replied, a grin on his lips. I have to explain THIS to Kaede. He'll KILL me if he doesn't know the exact reason why I'm here. Mitsui shook his head and turned. "So, where's your friend?"

Kogure stared at his new classmate for a while, then shrugged. "He's in the clinic. It's this way." And together, they went down the hall, unaware that a pair of green eyes were watching their every move and listening to their every word.

TBC

- fanfictions -