- fanfictions -

Title: The Tensai's Devil
Author: Crystal Arie
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Hanamichi Sakuragi and Kaede Rukawa
Disclaimer: Slam Dunk doesn't belong to me. It belongs to Takehiko Inoue.

Part 10

Hanamichi was dreaming...or, that was what he thought he was doing. He vaguely remembered seeing Megane-kun's face before he fainted, and until that moment, his eyes have remained sealed shut. However, he heard a disturbing sound all around him, and being the curious, redhead that he was, he opened his eyes and got the shock of his life.

He was in the center of some sort of assembly. The walls were so high and built with black marble that it looked magnificent and scary at the same time. There were no furniture and things around the main hall, but around 6 people, or should he say, DEMONS, were lurking about. Hanamichi looked at the center of the hall and his eyes widened. There was a painting of what seemed like the Royal family of the Underworld. Rukawa was on the very left, his mother, on the very right, and at the center...

Hanamichi swallowed. He had always thought that Satan was a figure made out of fire or something that cannot be easily described or distinguished. Well, he was close. Satan was a mix of a human being that looked like a half-giant, and he had a VERY dark aura around him, darker and bigger than Rukawa's. He looked like the worse father, but the perfect evil leader.

Hanamichi gulped. Okay. He has figured out by now that he is in the palace of the Underworld, but how does he get out?

"Your Great, I have news for you."

Hanamichi stiffened at that airy voice. Death! He turned around swiftly to see Death floating towards the person on the throne. Hanamichi's heart stopped. Satan...and Death...why didn't he notice them earlier?

Satan opened his eyes at the voice of Death and shifted his attention fully on the hooded figure. "What is it?"

Death knelt down in front of Satan and said hurriedly, "Your Great, your son seems to be very serious about the mortal. He brought out a small part of his power, which could have caused trouble for the Underworld if Heaven found out about it. I know that you have told me not to battle with your son, but it also seems that he has found an angel."

Satan's eyes narrowed. "An angel and a devil together will make the strongest combination."

"Quite, your great."

Satan sighed then clenched his hand into a fist, clearly not liking the way things were going. He sat there pondering on what was the best course of action to take for a while, occasionally murmuring to himself. Finally, he looked at Death with a determined glare and said, "Fight with that puny son of mine. And that angel. After all, I don't think that they'll be able to beat you. You haven't exactly shown your ENTIRE strength in front of him yet, have you?"

Death shook his head. "The last time I showed my power was 60 years ago, and that was only a small portion. I think that is what most of them who were present remember."

Satan nodded. "Good, then they don't know who they're dealing with."

"One more question, your great." Death asked cautiously. When Satan looked at him, he asked, "What do I do about the mortal? I have already attacked him, as you ordered."

Satan grinned slowly at that question. "His death will take place in 4 days. Let him have all the fun that he wants. After all, once he dies, my son will forget about him and marry his bride."

Death smiled that evil smile and faded away. "As you wish, your great."

Hanamichi watched as everything around him started to fade away into darkness. He stood there and watched as the scenery disappeared together with the demons, and finally, he was all alone in the dark. He stood there for a while, not knowing what to do after what he had just heard. Death was strong, stronger than Rukawa and Megane-kun, and he had only 4 more days to go, and Rukawa...he was going to get a bride after he died. Hanamichi felt saddened at that last thought and closed his eyes, drifting off into oblivion with the same thought in his head. After he died, Rukawa was going to choose his bride...

Hanamichi felt a tear slide down his cheek. And to think that I thought that I loved him...

* * * * * *

Kogure held Hanamichi's hand in his, watching the redhead's face for any reactions. He looked at the clock and sighed. Well, there goes my 2 subjects after recess...Akagi's going to kill me. He chuckled at that thought. Akagi was a very serious basketball player, but he too was a very protective friend. Kogure ran a hand through his hair. Well, he'd have to make an excuse for his absence.

Just as he thought that, the clinic door opened and Kogure was alert again. They're here...

The 2 dark auras drew closer and closer to him and Hanamichi. Kogure sighed and stood up just as Mitsui pulled the curtain back, facing Kogure straight in the face. Kogure smiled at him. "Hi."

Mitsui blinked and nodded back stiffly, still shocked about the fact.

Rukawa sighed at his cousin's reaction and grinned at Kogure. "Hey there, angel."

Kogure smiled back. "Nice to meet you too, devil."

Rukawa saw Hanamichi lying on the bed and made his way towards the sleeping boy, his face softening slightly when he noticed that Hanamichi wasn't hurt. He turned to Kogure and whispered, "I have a proposition to make, and I don't know if you'll agree with me."

Kogure noted the look on Rukawa's face and gave his full attention to the raven haired boy. "What is it?"

Rukawa cleared his throat. "Ah...that is..."

"Hmmm?" Kogure tipped his head to one side, wondering what the demon had to say.

Rukawa sighed and turned to face Kogure fully, his mouth slightly turned up in a smile. "I want to save Hanamichi here from his fate, which is to die in 4 days, and my only option now is to ask an angel to fight with me against Death, so..."

Kogure's eyes widened.

Rukawa shook his head and asked out, "Would you help me?"

Kogure was too shocked to answer. If he remembered his history research right, Rukawa Kaede was the SON of SATAN, and clearly one of the most powerful demons that has ever existed. Death's power was unknown, but to ask an angel for help was against everything in their world, and it signified putting down your pride, which is one of the hardest things for a demon to do. Kogure swallowed. For a demon to ask him for help was...

Rukawa saw the look of calculation on Kogure's face and smiled. "I know, I know...if we lose, I get to be eaten by the fires of both Heaven and Hell, and you'll be punished for helping a demon."

Kogure smiled at Rukawa warmly. "I don't mind."

Rukawa and Mitsui's eyes both looked up at the same time. "What?"

Kogure smiled wider and stepped forward. "I said that I don't mind fighting with you. Sakuragi-kun is my teammate and friend, plus..." He looked at Mitsui warmly. "I'm not about to say no to 2 demon's who aren't that bad."

Mitsui gave a relieved sigh. "Yokatta."

Rukawa smiled gratefully at Kogure. "Arigatou, Kogure-san."

"No problem."

Just then, Rukawa's attention was diverted to Hanamichi once again. They all watched apprehensively as Hanamichi opened his eyes slowly and focused them on Rukawa's towering face. Rukawa smiled at his redhead and whispered, "Ohayo, Hana." Hanamichi stared at him for a while, then sighed as he stood up. Rukawa narrowed his eyes in confusion at Hanamichi's action, and stood in front of him, trying to get his attention. "Hana?" Rukawa blinked when Hanamichi deliberately faced the opposite direction, obviously not wanting to talk to Rukawa or even see his face. Rukawa blinked, totally confused. "Hana?"

"I should have known."

Rukawa drew back at that harsh whisper. He cautiously answered the redhead, not knowing what was going on. He tried to read Hanamichi's thoughts, but they were too jumbled up to understand. "You should have known what, Hana?"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT, AKUMA!" Hanamichi shouted, surprising all of the occupants of the clinic.

Mitsui bit his lip, noticing how much Rukawa was holding himself back from shouting himself. Mitsui couldn't blame him. Rukawa WAS worried for Hanamichi's health and had nearly lost his mind a while back there, and now, Hanamichi wakes up and starts saying these things... He steeped up to demand what was going on when someone held his arm back. He looked at the owner of the arm and felt his mind cooling slowly at the look Kogure had on his face. "Let's leave them alone for now."

Mitsui stared at Kogure for a while, then at Rukawa's clenched fists. He sighed and nodded, following the spectacled boy out of the room obediently. He had enough problems as it is, and his mind couldn't take another one at the moment.

When Hanamichi and Rukawa were all alone, Rukawa sat on the side of the bed and reached out for Hanamichi. "What's wrong, Hana-"

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME THAT!" Hanamichi shouted again as he slapped Rukawa's hand away, turning his face towards his right.

Rukawa glared at the redhead and shouted back, "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

Hanamichi whipped hi head up and raised a fist. "I HATE YOU!" He brought his fist towards Rukawa's cheek. Rukawa, however, saw that coming, and easily caught the punch that was about to hit him, gripping the trapped hand of Hanamichi tight. Hanamichi cursed and shouted, "I HATE YOU!! YOU ARE THE BIGGEST LIAR IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!"

Rukawa's eyes flashed, and in an instant, he turned Hanamichi around and trapped him to his body, Hanamichi's back against his chest, and his arms enclosed in his arms. Rukawa held the furious redhead down as he got out, "What are you talking about?!"

Hanamichi turned his flushed face back at Rukawa angrily. "You're getting MARRIED!"

Rukawa stiffened at that statement as Hanamichi breathed in and out, his face hot from the position Rukawa place them in and the way Rukawa's chest seemed so warm and soft against his back. But he pushed those thought away as he started to struggle out of Rukawa's grip, which was easy to accomplish since Rukawa had gone still and silent at the same time.

Hanamichi sat on the farthest side of the bed and leaned his head against the wall, his eyes trained on Rukawa.

Finally, Rukawa lifted his head up and his eyes met Hanamichi. "How..."

Hanamichi crossed his arms over his chest. "I saw it in my dream. Your father and Death talking to each other about the battle, my death, and your getting MARRIED." Hanamichi snorted, disgusted at himself and at the raven haired boy in front of him. "You know, I was actually starting to believe you and your crap about how you LOVED me, but I guess it was all just a JOKE for you." He sat up and stabbed Rukawa on the chest. "You never loved me, you just wanted to have some fun while you were on earth, you just wanted to play with a mortal's heart, and after that mortal dies, you will get married and live a wonderful life, isn't that right?!"

Rukawa shook his head slowly. "No, that's not it."

Hanamichi chuckled silently at that reply. He stood up from the bed and place on his shoes. "You know, you are one pathetic demon. To think that you even made me believe that you loved me, and that I loved you..."

Rukawa lifted his gaze at that sentence, his mouth slightly parted when he heard the last part.

Hanamichi gave him a sneer and walked towards the door. "But, who cares, right? It was all just a game for you. You're gonna get MARRIED to another demon, and you just wanted to have some fun." Hanamichi turned around to face Rukawa and shouted out, "Well, I'M gonna have my fun too! I'm going to go out with HARUKO tomorrow, because SHE'S the one I LOVE, and you'll go back to your world and have the greatest time telling your WIFE how your played the perfect demon to mortals!" With that, Hanamichi went out of the clinic and slammed the door shut.

When he was gone, Rukawa stared at the spot where Hanamichi was just standing, his mind unable to process anything but what Hanamichi had just said.

"I HATE YOU!"

"You never loved me, you just wanted to have some fun while you were on earth, you just wanted to play with a mortal's heart, and after that mortal dies, you will get married and live a wonderful life, isn't that right?!"

"You know, you are one pathetic demon. To think that you even made me believe that you loved me, and that I loved you..."

Rukawa shut his eyes tight as he clenched his hands into fists. "That's...not it..." He bowed his head low and without warning, a tear drop fell on the bed as his shoulders started shaking, his eyes covered by his hair. As more tear drops started to fall, he choked back a sob and gasped out, "I love you, Hana..." But it was too late.

Hanamichi was gone, and there was nothing he could do about it.

TBC

- fanfictions -