- fanfictions -

Title: The Tensai's Devil
Author: Crystal Arie
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Hanamichi Sakuragi and Kaede Rukawa
Disclaimer: Slam Dunk doesn't belong to me. It belongs to Takehiko Inoue.

Part 24

"NANI?!" Satan's voice boomed around the hall, making everyone stop dead in their tracks to stare at him. Satan rose slightly from his chair to look down at Death, his fist shaking with fury. "I don't believe this! I entrusted everything to you so that my son would marry a demon, and instead, you made him marry a MORTAL!" Death swung his hand around, hitting the black vase at his side and sent it crashing to the ground, the shards moving in every direction. However, Satan was too furious to notice this as he pointed a finger down at Death's cowering form. "Are you deliberately trying to make me kill you?!"

"No, your great!" Death cried out, lifting his head up from the ground. "It's just that I didn't anticipate Kaede-sama's cousins to interfere with the operation! Please forgive me!"

Satan grabbed the neck of Death and hauled him up to the air. Death struggled to breath, but Satan didn't give him a chance to talk. "Forgive you?! For destroying the reputation that I have built over centuries because of your mistake?!" Satan lifted his free hand to the air and a huge black orb appeared, crackling with the energy inside. Death struggled even more when his eyes caught that, but Satan didn't back down. "You will die for your stupidity."

"Chotto matte kudasai, Satan-sama."

Satan paused at that and inclined his head to the side. Eri came out from the shadows, walking with small but determined steps towards the raging God. Satan glared at her and turned back to Death, the black orb still ready in his hand. "If you want to discuss something, we'll do that later. I am busy at the moment, as you can see."

"But what I have to discuss with you includes Death-san over there." Eri said in a sickeningly sweet voice. She stepped forward until she was close enough to touch Satan. "Please?"

Satan cursed and threw Death to one side, obviously having lost the last drop of patience in his body. Death fell hard on the ground and stayed still for a while, breathing in and out rapidly to fill his lungs.

Eri nodded approvingly and turned to face Satan, who sat down again on his throne. "Satan-sama, it is true that Kaede has married a mortal, namely Hanamichi Sakuragi, demo, Death and I have killed him. In this case, doesn't that mean that Kaede can remarry?"

Satan snorted and waved his hand about. "My son and his comrades went to get that mortal back from Zion. They could have succeeded. That means that Hanamichi is back and alive."

Eri nodded her head. "True, you great, however, Hanamichi is in his second body. Kaede married the Hanamichi who was in the first body, so it still means that the mortal Kaede married is dead. And also, if my research is right," Eri drew closer and said in a soft, secretive voice, "The new body of that mortal won't be able to stand Kaede because the one person Hanamichi loved will cause the most pain in his new body."

Satan thought that over for a few seconds, his head slowly cooling down. When he had heard the news about his son being married to a mortal, he burst right then and there, throwing things around his room, setting a few servant's on fire, and when Death came, well...that's how he was. He never bothered to think of an alternative option. He glanced down at Eri with serious eyes and murmured, "In other words, you will approach my son and ask him to marry you, since he won't be able to be near that mortal anymore."

Eri smiled evilly and nodded her head. "Correct. And I will make a deal with him. If he marries me, Death will not kill that mortal and let him live until he dies of old age. But, if he refuses," She ran her fingers thrown her hair and sighed dramatically. "Then the battle at noon, which is 45 minutes away, will ensue."

Satan mused over this silently, his fingers tapping the arms of his chair. Finally, he lifted his gaze towards Eri and nodded. "Fine. Negotiate with him." Then, he turned to Death and muttered dangerously, "And you better kill that mortal if he refuses. Understood?"

Both Eri and Death stood up straight and bowed. "Hai, your great."

Satan cursed under his breath and stood up, walking towards his room. Many servants backed away from him as he passed by, but he didn't pay any attention to him. His mind was still fixed on the plan Eri presented to him a while ago. When he passed the picture that consisted of him, Kaede, and his late wife, he stared at his wife longingly, a sincere look crossing his face. Then, he shook his head and turned away, his fists clenched tight at his sides.

If history repeats itself, it will only bring suffering. This was the greatest lesson Satan has learned in his life, and he planned to keep that feeling of suffering away from both him and his son at all costs.

* * * * * *

Hanamichi slowly opened his eyes, feeling that someone was calling him. But when his eyes focused around his surroundings, he didn't see anyone. He looked around one more time, feeling that his head was hit by a truck, and fell back against the pillows. He felt drained, both physically and mentally. He really couldn't remember how he got to where he was now. All he could remember was seeing Kogure lying on the ground, blood around his body, a boy named Mitsui cradling Kogure, and a raven haired boy-

Suddenly, pain erupted from his brain again. He gasped and rolled on the bed, trying his best to get rid of the pain. When the image of that blue eyed devil disappeared from his mind, so did the pain. He took in shallow breaths, trying to ease the pain that continued to throb inside his head.

Just then, the door opened, and Sendoh stepped in, holding a tray with food on it. He spotted Hanamichi and smiled. "Hey there Hanamichi. It's good to see that you're up."

Hanamichi watched the boy through half opened eyes then whispered through his parched throat, "Who are you?"

Sendoh smiled and place the tray by Hanamichi's bedside table. "My name's Akira Sendoh. I'm the stepbrother of Mitsui. Remember him?"

"Mitsui...yes. I remember." Hanamichi replied, nodding back at the other boy.

Sendoh smiled, then his smile wavered, and finally, dropped. Hanamichi stared at the other man, wondering what was wrong, when Sendoh spoke up again. "Hanamichi..." Sendoh looked up and caught Hanamichi's gaze. "Do...you remember anything from before? Anything or anyone?"

Hanamichi shook his head. "Sorry, but no. Whenever I see a person, images or conversations flash through my head with the person that I'm facing presently."

"I...I see." Sendoh moved his head slightly to one side. "Do...you remember...Ka-Kae..."

"Eh?" Hanamichi lifted his head and blinked innocently, wondering what Sendoh was trying to say.

Sendoh opened his mouth again, when a knock stopped him. He shook his head and smiled at Hanamichi. "Nandemo nai." He gave a wave to the bewildered redhead, then opened the door, seemed surprised at who was there, then spoke softly and rapidly with the person. Before Hanamichi could see who was out there, Sendoh closed the door and stood still. Hanamichi blinked, staring at Sendoh's taught form curiously. But, he didn't say anything. Finally, Sendoh turned around and faced Hanamichi, a serious look on his face. He walked up to the redhead as he said, "Hanamichi, a special person outside wants to talk to you, however, I must blindfold you."

Hanamichi's eyebrows rose. "Why?"

Sendoh smiled and pulled out a long scarf from his pocket. He place it securely around Hanamichi's head and murmured, "Please, don't take this off. Trust me, okay?"

Sendoh had such a wistful tone to his voice that Hanamichi could do nothing but nod back. When he felt Sendoh finally finish tying the scarf, he waited patiently, hearing the sounds of footsteps exiting the room, and another pair entering. Hanamichi tensed slightly, feeling the aura of the person enfold him. He felt...strange. The presence of the person felt comforting and warm, yet, strange.

Hanamichi felt like he knew this person, but he didn't know who he was. When he heard the footsteps stop abruptly halfway to his bed, he waited, wondering what the person was doing. When nothing came, he gave a smile to the person and murmured, "I don't bite, you know. You can come closer."

The person took a small intake of breath before coming forward hesitantly. When Hanamichi felt that the person was beside him, he reached out. "Where are you?"

"Don't." Came the gruff, pained voice.

Hanamichi stilled instantly and lowered his hand, his fingers itching to pull the scarf away to see the face of the person. "Who are you? Please, tell me."

The guy became quiet at that question. Hanamichi wondered if he asked something wrong. Then, the person moved slightly away from Hanamichi as he said, "It's Kaede. Rukawa Kaede."

"Kae...de?" Hanamichi whispered it, and when he did, and image of a raven haired boy passed in front of his eyes. Again, that sharp pain throbbed in his head, but he bit his lips and forced the image away.

Rukawa watched Hanamichi's reaction to that, his heart feeling like it was being stabbed. Wanting to end Hanamichi's pain, he continued talking again, wanting to distract Hanamichi from whatever it was he was seeing in his mind. "Listen, don't dwell on my name, okay? If you do, you'll only get hurt." When Hanamichi stopped biting his lip and his expression went back to normal, Rukawa nodded. "Are you okay?"

Hanamichi looked downwards and nodded, feeling like he was going to faint, but he also felt at the same time that he needed to hear whatever this person was going to say.

Rukawa sighed and whispered, "I cannot touch you because you will get hurt, and if you think or remember me, you will get hurt as well. That is how simple it sounds, but it is hard to avoid. Do you know why, Hana?"

Hanamichi shook his head, feeling his heart jump when Rukawa called him 'Hana'.

Rukawa walked towards the window and looked outside. "You know, before you died, I was your lover." When Hanamichi inhaled sharply, Rukawa pushed on. "I loved you as you loved me. Up to now, I still love you, even though you don't remember me." He slammed his fist hard against the wall, his voice beginning to sound desperate. "Believe me, as much as I want to touch and hold you right now, I can't. I don't want you to suffer."

Hanamichi's heart jumped up to his throat as his hands shook, wanting to take off the blindfold. Suddenly images of him and a raven haired boy passed in front of his eyes. Both of them kissing in a classroom, joking around in a bedroom, talking in a clinic, and finally, him being taken-

Immense pain coursed through his body, making him shout out. He grasped the sheets in his hands as he heard Rukawa come closer. "Baka! I told you not to think about it!"

Hanamichi forced the image away, biting his lip to help him not remember anything. His body was throbbing with pain.

Rukawa shook his head, a tear escaping his eye. "Gomen...I'm so sorry for causing you all this pain." He knelt down beside the bed and place his head on top of the mattress, wanting to shout out all his pent up frustration.

Hanamichi was silent, but he was crying as well. He didn't know why, but he was crying. He wanted to reach out and hold the person, but when he place his hand down where he thought the person was, all he held was air. Hanamichi looked up and asked, "Where are you?"

Rukawa wiped away his tears and stood beside the bed, his fingers slowly tracing the outline of Hanamichi's face. He smiled softly. "I love you."

Hanamichi stopped breathing.

Rukawa sighed and stepped away. "I'll love you to the very end, Hanamichi. I promise I will end your suffering." Then, he opened the door, and without a backward glance, shut it softly.

Hanamichi finally pulled off the scarf, and tears started flowing endlessly down his cheeks. He stared at the door for a moment, then, saw the part of the bed where Rukawa place his head. He leaned down and touched it with his hand, feeling the warmth seep from the bed to his fingertips. He shook his head and fell back against the pillow, his heart suddenly becoming painful.

Just then, Sendoh came in the room again and saw Hanamichi's pained expression. He quickly made his way towards the redhead and wrapped his arms around the shaking figure. "Hanamichi? Hanamichi! What's wrong?" When Hanamichi buried his face into Sendoh's shoulder hard, Sendoh became frantic. "Hanamichi?! Doshite?"

"I...want to...see...him." Hanamichi sobbed out.

Sendoh shook his head and looked into Hanamichi's eyes. "Not now. You can't see him now."

"WHY?!" Hanamichi burst out, tears falling form his eyes. He gripped Sendoh's arms tight and shook him. "I don't care if I get hurt! I just want to see him! Please!" Hanamichi didn't know why he was so desperate to see Rukawa's face, but he needed to. Badly. He tried to get of the bed, but Sendoh's arms held him back.

"You can't, Hanamichi! You just can't!" Sendoh shouted, trying to calm the frantic redhead.

Hanamichi looked up and shouted out, "Tell me why?!"

Sendoh gritted his teeth then burst out, "Because he and Kogure are going to meet Death NOW!"

Hanamichi stilled. "What did you say?"

Sendoh cocked his head to the side. Hanamichi saw the clock and read 11:58. Sendoh nodded his head and told Hanamichi firmly. "That's why I can't let you go after him. Death will try to kill you if ever you show up with Kaede and Kogure. That is why Kaede ordered me and Koshino to stay here with you in case something might happen. Understand?"

Hanamichi shook his head. "But...I need to-"

"You can't, Hanamichi." Sendoh repeated, holding Hanamichi to his chest. "I'm sorry, but you can't."

Hanamichi bit his lip and cried on Sendoh's shoulder. He didn't know why, but he had a bad feeling. Ever since Rukawa left him alone, there was a bad sensation crawling up his back. He looked past Sendoh's shoulder and focused on the door. "Kaede..." The pain came back at full force and he cried out loudly, falling on Sendoh. His vision was getting blurry, his eyes closing. He vaguely heard Sendoh calling out to him, but all he could see was blue eyes filled tears. Then, one thought passed through his head before he was swallowed by the darkness.

Kaede's...going to die.

TBC

- fanfictions -