- fanfictions -

Title : What is in a Feeling
Author : Liez
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu
Parts : 2

"Pass the ball, pass the ball!" Miyagi roared. The confused first-year panicked and Rukawa easily stole the pass, dribbling it swiftly to the other end of the court and dunking it in. The usual crowd clapped and cheered, but something was missing.

Rukawa glanced over at Hanamichi. The redhead had been quiet ever since school started one week ago. He was still noisy sometimes, but for the most part he had completely retreated into himself. It was unusual for him to let Rukawa take any credit, especially in basketball where the self-declared genius could often be heard claiming any points for his own effort. The blue-eyed boy wondered what was wrong, then promptly kicked himself for the thought. He's my enemy, why do I care…

A whistle blew sharply from behind, and Ayako rose, clapping as Anzai looked on. "That's it for today!" she concluded, smiling at the first-years who had joined the club. "Don't look so worried, guys! They are your seniors! Work hard and you'll be like them soon!" There were chuckles at the third year manageress' energy, and a few of the boys smiled before Miyagi pushed them away.

@@@

Hanamichi walked to the corner where he had dropped his bag earlier. His legs felt like lead, and his head was hurting again. Coughing as softly as he could to himself, he bent and picked up his belongings, stumbling a little as he did so. From the opposite end of the court, cold blue eyes narrowed.

@@@

Rukawa was cycling out of school when he caught sight of a familiar figure walking slowly on the pavement. He stood there, debating with himself, for a few minutes before he stopped the bike and, with a growl for his own weakness, moved to intercept the redhead. Hanamichi's gaze was locked on the ground, and he didn't notice the other boy until he caught sight of the feet blocking his way.

"What do you want?" Hanamichi's voice was low.

This isn't like him, Rukawa realized, before the question hit him. He didn't know what to answer, and finally muttered, "I think we should work together. Shohoku would become a much stronger team if we did."

Hanamichi lifted his head and met the piercing gaze of the other boy. "No thanks." He began to walk away.

"Do'aho."

Hanamichi spun around so sharply that another wave of dizziness swept through him. He saw Rukawa watching him, suspicion beginning to show in his eyes, and clamped his sickness down, speaking quickly, unthinkingly, anything to get the fox off his back. "What would you bother!" he yelled, his breathing becoming harsher with his voice. "You can do it all yourself, you know! That's what you've been doing all along, hasn't it? Don't play games with me, kitsune! Just go away!"

Rukawa shrugged, then walked off back to his bike. He could hear Hanamichi stomping away, and an unfamiliar tinge, a mixture of pain and concern, made him turn around. The redhead coughed again, violently, before turning the corner. Rukawa waited until the sounds of the footsteps and coughing faded, then wheeled his bike off and jumped on it.

@@@

The next day, Hanamichi quit the basketball club.

End of part 2

- fanfictions -