- fanfictions -

Title : What is in a Feeling
Author : Liez
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu
Parts : 4

Rukawa had the feeling that something was going terribly wrong. It had begun when Hanamichi had quit the club.

*Flashback

Hanamichi walked stiffly into the gym, and the greetings on everyone's lips died when they saw his expression.

"I don't care for basketball anymore," he announced loftily. "You're all too lousy to make it, and this is boring. I'm leaving for something more interesting, like fighting, or something like that. My gang's waiting for me, you know!"

"What?" anger burned in Miyagi's eyes, but Ayako restrained him. "Hanamichi, are you sure you know what you're saying?"

The tall redhead turned and left, his shoes squeaking as he closed the door behind him with a slam and walked away.

*End of Flashback

When the last bell rang, Rukawa gathered up his books and packed his bag. On the opposite end of the classroom, a redhead shot out of his seat and was gone in a second. Cursing under his breath, Rukawa followed him, barely managing to keep that unruly red hair in sight. He turned a corner, and was about to run down the steps when he heard a familiar voice. The blood rushed to his head and made him take a step back.

What was Sendoh Akira doing here?

"Let's go," Sendoh looped an arm casually about Hanamichi's shoulders and steered the boy towards a waiting cab. Hanamichi had an air of lightness about him; Rukawa hadn't seen this side of him since school started. He would have followed if not for the grip of jealousy that suddenly seized his heart, making his features settle back into the cold expression of an implacable emotionless façade as he walked away.

@@@

"I know Doctor Onosaki very well," Sendoh chuckled as he playfully swatted Hanamichi's hand. "You should have told me earlier, then I could have gotten you a discount."

Hanamichi smiled, feeling freer than he had been feeling for the past few weeks. It was not that anything had changed, but now he had someone who knew, and wasn't afraid, who he could talk to about everyday life. Sendoh's knowing changed everything. Someone, who didn't know, like Yohei, would pale in comparison to his degree of unwanted knowledge of himself. He cautiously admitted to himself that he was glad of the tall Ryonan player's presence. It was comforting. He turned a wide smile to his companion and laughed at a silly joke the older boy had made.

Sendoh saw the smile and knew what it meant, and relief and happiness flooded him as he continued telling Hanamichi funny stories and stomach-doubling jokes. In the full force of Sendoh's renowned charm, and without any barriers erected which would hamper it, Hanamichi relaxed.

A comfortable silence settled in the cab, before Hanamichi broke it. "You won't tell anyone will you?"

Sendoh looked at him in surprise. "Of course not. Not if you don't want me to. Besides," he shrugged, "I don't know anyone who might even want to find out."

A flash of steely cold blue eyes echoed in Hanamichi's mind.

The cab stopped in front of the clinic, and the two boys got off after Sendoh paid the fare. The blast of cool, medication-sated air assaulted Hanamichi and he began to cough again, incessantly, as his vision dipped and spun in dizzy circles.

End of part 4

- fanfictions -