- fanfictions -

Title: April 1st - The GIFT
Part: 1/?
Author: Yen
Pairing: Kaede Rukawa & Hanamichi Sakuragi

-------------------
{} = Places  [] = Thoughts  " " = Speaking   ^^ = Author's notes  <> = others …
Note: This fic follows the previous one titled: MARCH 31ST -- THE CHOICE

PART 03: A Gift of Acceptance

-------------------

"Are we there yet?"

"No"

"Are we there yet?"

"No"

"Are we there yet?"

"No"

"Are we there yet?"

"No"

"Are we there yet?"

Before Mito could answer that irritatingly repeating question, the other three member of Sakuragi's Gundan suddenly chorused, "WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP?"

Mito just sighed and leaned his head against the window. "Blame it on birthday boy for having too many sweets over his boyfriend's house to make him hyper like that." He said, pointing to the redhead sitting in front of him who just stuck out his tongue as a form of an answer.

Shaking his head, "Gosh Hanamichi, no one would believe that you're 17 if you keep on acting like that." Ookusu scolded, sitting between Takamiya and Mito.

"Yeah, I wonder what Rukawa sees in you anyway." Takamiya added but his comment earned him a quick head butt.

"Never ever question the kitsune's taste." Sakuragi jokingly chastised then added, "I am quite a catch you know and kitsune should be honored to have a tensai as his mate." He beamed then laughed his trademark Hanamichi Sakuragi laugh.

"Yeah right, I would rather catch a cold than catch someone like you." Ookusu mumbled.

"You're forgetting that Rukawa is Mr. Freeze himself that's why he caught Hanamichi instead." Mito stated impassively which nearly made the birthday boy jump him if not for Noma's timely hold on the redhead's arm.

"Why didn't he join us anyway?" Noma questioned.

Thinking against rendering a head injury to his best friend for his comment, Sakuragi opted to play with the window that Mito was leaning against, making it go up and down as he replied, "He's seeing his parents off at the airport but he promised to be there later."

"Oh, does he…"

"Will you quit doing that?" Mito suddenly scolded, interrupting Noma in the process.

Sakuragi stopped but cried, "I'm bored to my wits Youhei! How far is it?"

"I don't know." Was the clipped reply.

"WHAT?" All four chimed together.

"You mean you don't even know where this car is taking us?"

Eyeing his mustached friend, "No. I just gave the address to Rukawa's driver and asked if he knows the place and he answered that he does."

"Where are we going anyway?"

"Will you be patient? It's supposed to be a surprise and it won't be if you keep on badgering me. Now shut up!" He rebuked in a tone that brooked no argument or objection.

Recognizing that, Ookusu, Takamiya and Noma continued playing cards while Sakuragi pursed his lips and threw his best friend a baleful glare before burrowing deeper on his seat and pouted in silence.

After a few minutes … "So what did Rukawa's parents give you anyway?" Mito inquired out of curiosity.

Still pouting, the birthday boy curtly replied, "A condo."

"A CONDO?"

"Want me to spell it out for you?"

"Stop being such a baby Hanamichi. Now why would they give you a condo and did you accept it?"

Sporting a sullen statement, the redhead turned his face away from Mito and looked out the window. "They just wanted to be sure that Rukawa and I will have a place to live and be well taken care of. Guess they were worried about their son's welfare with a nobody like me."

Mito regarded his friend and did not fail to notice the flicker of sadness that crossed his face. "You are not a 'nobody' Hanamichi. Stop selling yourself short. Rukawa loves you, that is the only fact that you need to put inside your head."

"Yeah he does but sometimes I wonder if I could fit in his life. Just look at how he lives Youhei! Maids, butlers, fancy cars, a huge house and just look at him…"

"As if that really concerns you." He interjected and then, "Anyway, have you told Rukawa about how you feel?"

"No. But I think he knows. There's this one time when he brought me to a fancy restaurant, it was just dinner but the place just overwhelmed me and I couldn't eat."

"That's a first."

"Yeah it was, guess that was his cue that I was not being myself so without even asking me, he immediately signaled for the bill and we went to Danny's instead. Ever since that time he never takes me anywhere till he ask me first if it's okay with me."

Mito silently thanked the blue-eyed fox and smiled at his friend. "You shouldn't feel worried if that's how Rukawa treats you. Besides Rukawa's parents seemed to really like you."

The redhead's statement softened as he remembered the warm way Rukawa's parents had accepted him. Turning to face his friend, "Can you blame them? I'm just lovable you know." He boasted then grinned.

Mito had to laugh at that. "Now that's the Hanamichi that I know." He said then the two shared a laugh that resounded inside the car. After a while, "So, I assumed that you didn't accept the condo right?"

The redhead nodded his head and said, "You know me too well Youhei."

-------------------

"Stupid car phone." The raven-haired teen grumbled for like the nth time.

"Still can't get through honey?"

"No." [The stupid connection just can't get through.]

"I guess your son just couldn't let a minute pass without even talking to that boyfriend of his." Shinji remarked to his wife while reading the New York Times on their way to the airport.

"Hmnn… I wonder who he got it from?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"What I meant was, I wondered where Kaede inherited that trait from?"

Wide-eyed, "Not from me."

Naomi smiled at her husband and clasped her hand into his. "No need to deny your sweet side darling. You were exactly the same as Kaede when you were courting me and even worst when we got married. My friends had often remarked how jealously possessive you were and still are for that matter." She chided and watched in amusement at her husband's mortified statement.

"Stop saying nonsense Naomi." Shinji rebuked but his wife only giggled like a schoolgirl and huddled even closer to him.

The younger Rukawa shifted his position in the front seat and covered his left ear so he could tune out his parents' conversation. His mother's comment made him quite uncomfortable and it didn't help that he knew it to be true. Sighing, [Jealous and possessive, yeah that's me all right. Though I hope Hana would accept it like mom did.] He thought and started dialing the mini-limousine's car phone.

[Busy again] "Damn it! I should have bought him a mobile phone." He exclaimed, unconsciously voicing out his frustration.

Still huddled close to her husband, Naomi said, "I don't think Hanamichi would have accepted it if you do Kaede. That boyfriend of yours is proud and he would be mad at you instead of thanking you for it."

"Your mother is right. You should have seen his face when we offered a condo as a birthday gift for him."

Whirling around to stare at his parents, "WHAT? Why did you do that for?"

Seeing the apprehensive statement on his son's face, he told him what had happened inside the library and when he was finished… "So you see, there's nothing to be worried about Kaede."

But Rukawa was not convinced until he had talked to Hanamichi about it, thus the need to contact him grew even more. Cursing inwardly, he dialed the number again and willed it to ring. Someone above must have heard his silent plea because the other line was suddenly answered.

"Hello?"

"Pass the phone to Hanamichi!"

"Hello?"

"Hana?"

"Kaede?"

Rukawa breathe a sigh of relief upon hearing his beloved's voice. "Where are you?"

"I don't know. Your driver knows the address. Better ask him before we hang up or you'll not know where to find me."

"I will. But I need to ask you something."

"What? Now?"

"Yeah."

"I just left your house. Couldn't you have asked me then?"

"Shut up and listen will you?"

"Okay. What is it?"

"Will it be okay if I take you somewhere tonight? Just the two of us?"

A pause on the other line and then…

"Nothing fancy Kaede."

"No it won't be. Promise. It'll just be the two of us and we'll have fun."

"Fun? I would love that. Can't wait till tonight."

Rukawa could only imagine the twinkle in those expressive brown eyes and felt warm all over. "Yeah me too."

"You called just to ask me that?"

Rukawa could feel a blush creeping on his face at the teasing tone of his redhead. "er… kind of. Anyway, see you later ok?"

"Ok. Bye."

"No wait! There's something else."

"What?"

"How did you feel when my parents offered you the condo?"

Another long pause, but this one had Rukawa waiting breathlessly till he could hear his beloved's voice on the other line.

"I can't honestly tell you right now but… Let's just say that you have a lot of making up to do tonight."

Rukawa almost coughed from the seductive tone his redhead had used on him and he was really blushing at that moment, especially since he could feel his parents' ardent stare burning at the back if his neck. "Do'aho" He affectionately whispered and was about to say something when he suddenly heard someone other than his boyfriend saying, 'Hey Hanamichi we're here.'

And then…

"Hey Kitsune I gotta go. See you later. Bye."

And before he could even finish… "Hana… I…" the line suddenly went dead.

After hanging up, Rukawa just stared at the phone he was holding as if trying to feel Hana's presence with it. [Idiot. He's with his friends and here you are moping and feeling jealous that he's with them instead of with you.] His mind scolded. Then suddenly… [Damn! I forgot to ask for the address.] "Stupid!"

"Anything wrong honey?"

Rukawa immediately schooled himself and answered, "Nothing mom."

"Now that you have talked with Hanamichi, I think that we could start discussing about your future son. Your mother and I were thinking that…"

Rukawa let his father chat away but he was not listening anymore. His mind was focused on understanding the sudden feeling of need to be Hanamichi rather than miles from him.

[Why am I feeling scared all of a sudden?] He wondered, unconsciously fingering the sole jewelry adorning his finger as they drove towards the airport.

-------------------

"What are we doing here Youhei?" The redhead asked for the 3rd time, as no one seemed to want to ring the doorbell. They just stood there and stared at the huge mansion.

"Are you sure this is the correct address?"

Mito gave Noma a sheet of paper and said, "You read it and tell me if we are in the wrong place."

Noma scanned the paper and looked at the address carved on the mailbox. "It's the same."

"So this is the change of venue?" Takamiya asked.

"Seems like it."

"Change of venue? You mean this is not where the party is supposed to be?" Sakuragi asked, curious all of a sudden. "Are you hiding something from me Youhei?"

Mito wisely backed away, "I am not hiding anything! It was not my idea to change venue." He cried and then pointed an accusing finger at his redheaded friend, "It's your fault to have two stupid rich guys after you."

The redhead was slightly taken aback by the accusation and squeaked, "My fault? Why? Whose house is this anyway?"

"Sendoh's"

"WHAT?" He thundered and then, "Why didn't you say something earlier?" He questioned, making a sudden grab of his friend's collar.

"What would you have me do? Let Rukawa know that we would be having the party over at Sendoh's?" He argued and freed himself from Hanamichi's grip.

"Nice idea Youhei." Noma remarked, chuckling a little.

"Yeah, expect lots of food and I bet it will really be a blast." Ookusu added with mirth and was regarding the huge house with shining eyes.

"It was not my idea!" Mito denied vehemently, stomping his foot in frustration. "Sendoh called me earlier and kind of coerced me into it. He kept on telling me that we were unfair to the three of them so it's but fair that I let him host Hanamichi's party."

Sakuragi threw him a glare and was about to give him a major head butt when the others made a sudden grab on his arm and prevented Mito's untimely visit to the hospital. With his friend out of reach, the redhead just resorted into yelling, "You fell for that? You know better than to listen to him."

"Fine! I'm sorry ok?" Mito cried in resignation. "What would you have me do then? Tell everyone inside this house to go home or pack everything and return to Danny's where it was supposed to?"

The redhead stopped his struggles for a moment as he digested the logic behind his friend's words and with a cry of sheer frustration, whirled around and vented his anger over the unknowing wall behind him.

"What's the big deal anyway? It's just a house! Why are you making such a fuss?" Takamiya asked.

"He's worried about Rukawa." Mito simply said as he kept his eyes fixed over the suddenly muted birthday boy.

"Why? It's not as if Sendoh's gonna jump you."

Chocolate colored eyes that were glazed with a mixture of sadness and worry turned to look at the yellow haired member of Sakuragi's Gundan and said, "It's not that Yuji. I just don't want…"

"… Rukawa to be jealous." Mito ended for him. "We know that Hanamichi but what can you do? Run away from your own party?"

Feeling suddenly depressed with the whole situation, the redhead leaned against the wall and said, "No. I couldn't do that. But I don't want Rukawa to be jealous either."

"How would you know that he would be anyway?"

"Because he has been, ever since I used Sendoh as camouflage for our relationship." Sakuragi explained.

"You and your stupid ideas." Mito muttered with a shake of his head.

"Ok, so now where back to Youhei's question. What would you do?" Noma asked.

Brown eyes turned to look up and gazed thoughtfully at the sky, thinking how its cloudless shade of blue reminded him strongly of a pair of aquatic blue eyes. The same blue eyes that would either shine brightly for him whenever they showed happiness and love or could rival a stormy sea when provoked and angered. Sighing, he returned his gaze back to his friends and knew that either way he had to make a decision. "It's my birthday today right? Though I really don't want to have a fight with Kaede… I guess all I could do is hope for the best and face the music."

"Meaning…"

"Meaning…" Straightening himself up, "… What are we waiting for? We have a party to go to right?" He voiced as he tried to keep a straight face to show his friends.

All four faces brightened up and broke into grins as they went to stand beside their redheaded friend. "Are you sure about this Hanamichi?"

Nodding his head, "Yes I am Youhei. Besides, as long as I don't do anything to make Rukawa jealous then… there's really nothing to worry about, right?" The redhead concluded with a shrug.

"Yeah I guess you're right." Mito happily conceded. "But do tell him not to be jealous of me, ok? His stares just gives me the chills sometimes." He added, patting the suddenly sheepish looking redhead on his back.

"I still can't believe how possessive your boyfriend could get. Just imagine being jealous of Youhei. I mean, we're your friends. What would he do when he couldn't take it? Make you avoid us?" Noma jokingly questioned and was sharing a laugh with Ookusu and Takamiya that he had totally missed the forlorn statement on his friend's face after that remark.

"No." Sakuragi answered with a shake of his head. "Rukawa would never ask me that. He knows how I feel for you guys and he will not take that away from me." He answered with certainty in his heart. "Rukawa may be possessive but it's not that bad and just to let you know, he has never once asked me to avoid you. He even insisted that I come here without him." He confessed, eyeing his friends with utmost seriousness.

Sakuragi's words were received with silence for a moment, that is, until Mito laughed and said, "Don't take it seriously Hanamichi. Sauchiro was just pulling your leg." Placing a comforting arm on the redhead's shoulder, "Besides, we're family and families can't be separated. Right?"

Takamiya nodded his head, Ookusu smiled and Noma said, "Yes we are…" Then he gathered them all in a circle and with arms around each of their shoulders, he declared, "… And like what families do… we stick together and love the ones they love."

"Even if it means accepting…" Ookusu added. "… Rukawa in the circle." Takamiya finished for them.

Sakuragi disentangled himself to stare at his friends with happiness in his eyes. "You mean…"

"Yes, we give you our blessing Hanamichi because we know that Rukawa would and could make you happy." Mito imparted.

"And don't worry about Sendoh. We will make sure that Rukawa would never have a reason to be jealous." Noma stated.

"And we promise to make your birthday party a success and a happy one." Takamiya chirped in.

Close to tears, Sakuragi suddenly made a grab of his friends and engulfed them all in a bear hug, much to the consternation of the others since the sheer force of the embrace was choking them. "Thank you thank you thank you thank you and thank you." He said repeatedly.

After a while… "Now could we get on with the party and ring the doorbell? Or would you guys rather stay here and admire the view?" Mito asked after they have all been released.

"Ring the doorbell!"

"Well since you are the birthday boy… why don't you do the honors?" Mito told Sakuragi which the latter agreed and complied.

After several rings, hurried footsteps were heard and then out popped…

"Sendoh…"

------------------- To be continued… Another dragging chapter huh? Anyway, some of you might be wondering why I dragged Hana's birthday this long. I can't precisely say why for now but I do hope that you guys bear with me for a while. I promise that this will not go to chapter 9 or 10.

-------------------

- fanfictions -