- fanfictions -

Title : Layered Illusions - Part Two of a RuHana Trilogy
Author : Liez
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu + others
Parts : 5

Do you really love Rukawa, Hanamichi? she asked the fuzzy image in her mind, the back of a head with glowing red hair. You don't right? It was just a game, wasn't it?

The abrupt sound of the door crashing open startled her, and she turned. Her heart pounded, then sank. Rukawa was looking about the gym, cradling a basketball and his bag, his face emotionless, until his gaze pinned her to her seat. Fury and loathing. She would have run if she could, but she was numb. No. I didn't do wrong. I couldn't have made a mistake.

The boy moved like a predator, she realized, catching her breath again as she realized how beautiful he was. It took her a moment to become aware that he was standing next to them now, towering over Ayako and her as the other girl looked up, startled with the venom of this piercing glare.

"What did you say to him?" deadly anger lanced his low voice. "What did you tell him to make him leave?"

Left? Hanamichi had left?

Rukawa was breathing hard now, his fingers white around the ball he clenched. When they didn't reply, he turned and threw the ball, hard, with one hand. It bounced against the higher portion of the opposite wall, before rolling to a stop in the corner.

@@@

He'll get over it, Haruko told herself, wiping her sweaty palms against the side of her school skirt. He's just upset that Sakuragi-kun didn't come for practice. They became friends this year, after all.

Ayako's gaze was fixed on the ground.

@@@

Heat burned in him, making him mad. He timed the ball in between his dribbles, hearing every dull 'thud' on the green gym floor echo against his empty heart. He didn't know what had just happened. All he knew was that every time he looked over his shoulder and every moment that he did not see Hanamichi, he was swept over by crushing waves of hurt.

@@@

Mitsui mumbled an excuse to leave practice early. Akagi wasn't there today, because he had had a science project in the neighboring school, and he was glad of it. He trudged the remaining steps to his front gate, then opened it, before he froze in the sight that greeted him.

Kogure looked up from where he was seated on the couch, dressed in a half-opened white shirt and faded jeans. Warm brown eyes behind the familiar spectacles twinkled at him as he gaped like an idiot. His friend had changed somehow. Kogure was darker, his skin tanned and glowing. He seemed slightly more muscular too, and Mitsui blankly took note that Kogure must have been lifting weights all the time in England. His hair had grown slightly longer, covering the edge of his ears and the base of his neck. He's so different…

But when Kogure rose and walked, smiling towards him before engulfing him into a bear hug, he allowed the smile of pure happiness to cross his lips, and he hugged back fiercely, dropping his bag to the ground. Nothing had changed.

end of part 5

- fanfictions -