- fanfictions -

Title : OUT
Author : yanthee (yanthee@yahoo.com)
Rating : G for the time being
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu
Parts : 1/5

Disclaimer : Umm.. well, I don't own any of these characters...?

Summary : Hanamichi and Rukawa doing the bravest thing they have ever done. A flash back story ranging in 6 years.

****

Kaede

2002

Now that he was here, right here, and shivered uncontrollably, he finally realized that he had spent his rent money on garbage. What was he doing in this particular barren place called *his* apartment?

Surely it was pathetic to spend two thousand dollars a month for a dark place with a broken heater and not complaining that it was a complete rip-off. But then again, who cared anyway? He didn't from the very beginning. Two thousands a month was an insubstantial amount of money compared to his two-million dollars a year salary. Two thousands a month was a *great* bargain for buying security.

"What is this? The Arctic Convention or something?" Hanamichi groaned loudly behind him. Yep. Two thousands a month was an *incredible* bargain to buy pleasant surprises in his life, like hearing the do'aho finally shedding his "do'aho"-ness and managed to know something about Arctic and its association to something freezing.

And he pronounced "convention" flawlessly too.

"Where do you want me to start, then?" Hanamichi eagerly flipped on the light. His face had turned into his standard comical grin, too satisfied with things he perfectly had planned inside his head and able to carry it out without disturbance. He bouncily pulled his oversize, empty suitcase he had marvelled on and on during their ride in the cab toward the bedroom. Of course he didn't expect Kaede to ever answer such a trivial and unimportant question like that, because he basically already knew what to do. It was just like Hanamichi to spend so much energy talking things unimportant and never expected to get a reply anyway. Especially from him.

But today was the day of days, and Kaede had been feeling generous. Instead of ignoring him like he usually did, he followed him, and actually... talked. "Glad I'm going to get rid of this," he mumbled.

"Huh?" Hanamichi stopped abruptly and turned his head. The gesture had almost made him knocking Kaede's forehead, yet as usual he just grinned idiotically as if nothing lethal had almost happened.

"Yeah, yeah," he nodded with an enthusiastic bobbing movement. "Good riddance. Baka. Never thought you had some sentiment in you, eh? The way I see it, there's just simply nothing good came out from this place."

Again, a comprehensive sentence delivered perfectly in a well-thought punchline. Kaede snorted. This was another cause of celebration.

"Do'aho." Of course, that word said it all. Kaede sat on the edge of his cold, well-made, never-used bed and watched his friend sitting on the floor, rummaging his wardrobe closet and put everything inside his giant suitcase.

Hanamichi stopped for a moment, and turned toward Kaede, giving him a weird look. "*Electric* toothbrush?" he said incredulously, lifting the object of his attention. "Since when do you have teeth?"

And that was priceless. Him, Sakuragi Hanamichi, looking like that, fully in his element. Because he wasn't always looking like that, especially this later years, where innocence finally fade away and growing up became a painful experience. Kaede thought that two thousands dollar a month was *nothing* compared to what he could get from it.

He exhaled. A deep, coming from the bottom of his stomach-kind of sigh, full of contentment and relief. Congratulation was due, he thought, because now nothing would ever be the same, and it seemed that all going great and good.

"Condoms!" Hanamichi now squealed, his face full of mock horror. He curiously shook the box, seemingly satisfied to know that it really was unopened since the day it came out from the factory, and checked on the price tag at the side. "Nineteen ninety nine?" he gasped. "Kitsune, is this a piece of furniture or come as a bonus for the apartment?"

Kaede swung his legs over until his knees softly touching his friend's back and took Hanamichi's chin. And then he kissed him, just barely, letting his lips catch the bottom of Hanamichi's, producing a soft, wet, full of sexy association kind of noise that instantly made his groin grow hard. That never failed to produce instant reaction, because the next thing he knew, Hanamichi was crawling on top of him, tongue lapping on his syrupy mouth, hands busy trying to uncover everything he wore. He was dizzy, and suddenly felt everything hot. As if the heater was turned on and cranked to the top notch, making him nauseous and excited at the same time.

Then two hours had passed, and Kaede was lying on his now messy bed. Naked, sweaty and gorgeous, and looking at Hanamichi like they had forever, and that Hanamichi also looking at him like they had gone to heaven.

"So," Hanamichi grinned. "Ready to go, now?"

And things had never been better.

***

Hanamichi

1996

Hanamichi already had four things in his own version list of Seven Wonders. One was the fact that he turned out to be a *serious* basketball player in his high school years. That surprised the hell of everyone, including himself, the person who hated basketball with a vengeance before. Yet, his Wonder wasn't about how he turned out to be one of the greatest player in Shohoku High, or in Kanagawa prefecture actually, since he had full faith on his genius, it was more on the fact that he was actually *dedicated* to the game and never for a single moment had ideas to give it up.

That first Wonder gave away to his second Wonder, which was the uncovering of his true attractiveness quality to girls. He remembered how surprised, and extremely flattered, he was when he got his first love letters and adoring recognition from various girl-fans during his games. Well, maybe the scale wasn't any near as large as Rukawa's, but compared to his dark history of "girl problem" in his Wako Junior High, this was earth-shattering shocking.

However, his crush toward Akagi Haruko remained unrequited. She never got over her own feeling for Rukawa, and Hanamichi was too competitive and arrogant when it came to Rukawa. He couldn't settle to be a substitute and second best to Rukawa, despite the fact that Haruko *did* consider to get steady with him. So, after a bittersweet long wait, it was he himself who severed the emotional ties and got over her. That turned out to be great, because she became even a better friend. It wasn't a surprise that later on she ended up with Yohei. Yohei was perfect for her, because he didn't have any mental block against Rukawa. He was out of the competitive circle and completely not associated to anything basket ball. This had made him incomparable to any of Haruko's crushes, and gave him a chance to reveal his true self and worth for Haruko's eyes. After some moments of awkward embarrassment, Hanamichi gave his best friend his blessing. He couldn't get anyone better than Yohei for Haruko.

Then, his third Wonder was his so-called "academic achievement". He passed high school to everyone's amazement, and actually successful in entering university. The later on might be attributed more on his invaluable basketball skill. The university wasn't exactly a good one and willing enough to disregard his low marks over the chance to be known to have a strong basketball team. But still, he didn't end up being a punk in the street. If there was a good thing come out from it, the rest of Sakuragi Gundan, except Yohei who was always smarter than the rest of them, accompanied him there. The big question mark was whether he could graduate. But it was still too early to decide, and he honestly wasn't that worried. He was a very determined person, and knew that somehow he would pull it off. After all, he was a Tensai.

Today was the occasion worth to be his fourth Wonder. Akagi Takenori, his first basketball captain and mentor, whom he secretly had a soft spot on, was getting married. It was incredible how the Gorilla ended up to be the first one settling down. Yet, he thought gleefully, it wasn't actually a surprise anyway, since the Gori was a rather domestic-kind of guy, with all of his mothering instinct covered in a fistful kind of affection. Marriage suited him, even though getting one at twenty two was rather too fast. What actually amazed Hanamichi was the fact that the Gori managed to get a girl. A pretty one, actually.

Apparently those kinds of thoughts were on everybody's mind. The wedding reception was full of people, and became to be an amazing occasion of reunion. Not only Hanamichi saw his former high school teammates present, but also his former high school rivals from Kainan, Ryonan, Shoyo, even some from Toyotama and Sannoh. Of course part of it came from the fact that the Gori entered a prominent basketball university, in which most of high school starplayers in Japan flocked in. More or less, it was a great occasion, and Hanamichi admitted that he had a really great time.

Ryota looked good, and to his relief, finally got steady with Ayako. The man had been babbling almost incessantly to him the minute he saw Hanamichi coming. It was rather flattering to know that his second captain genuinely *happy* to see him.

"I must admit, without you, my life had been too peaceful," Ryota grinned. "Kyoto Uni was great, but Sendoh, Uozumi, Maki and Fujima combined together could not compete your individual idiocy."

"Hah!" Hanamichi snorted. "As if you can replace me. Admit it, Ryo- chin, you miss me, don't you?"

The smile Ryota gave him might be lopsided, but it was full of affection. "Yeah. I..., no, *we* do miss you, idiot."

Hanamichi hugged him. "Ryo-chin!!"

When dancing started, Ayako, Mitsui and his girlfriend joined them. They genuinely pleased to see Hanamichi, whom blushed furiously when being introduced to Mitsui's girl, thinking that she sort of looked like Haruko and Yoko combined into one.

"So, you didn't end up with her, eh?" Mitsui grinned, pointing out toward Haruko dancing with Yohei.

Hanamichi was quite surprised that the pang he felt was insubstantial. He had no idea that he had gotten over her that completely. "Pity, huh?" he grinned in a good sport manner. "She looked absolutely great."

Mitsui looked at him thoughtfully for a moment, and smiled warmly, "Can't waste that charm on a single woman, right? How many girlfriends do you have now?"

Hanamichi laughed. "The Tensai practically runs a harem now! Even he must turn down some of the offers!"

After rounds of champagne-gluttony, their group turned into the most boisterous one in the party. Hanamichi had managed to steal the scene when he ran to the center of the hall and danced in his usual erratic style, resulting in a hysterical giggles and applauses from his friends. Their group had grown rapidly, which included Kiyota who joined Hanamichi's antics in no time, Maki, Fujima, Sendoh, Uozumi, Koshino, Hanagata, some of their respective girlfriends and numerous friends. Even Akagi spent sometime joining them, before their parents drag him around to meet some other guests and relatives.

It was Kogure who finally put a hold on the flowing alcohol being served into such a riotous group.

Kogure, Akagi's best man, was looking very happy. Glowing, in fact, that he looked like the one getting married. It was very touching that he remained Akagi's best friend and side kick. Mitsui admitted it secretly, that when it comes to loyalty, Kogure was the best example. "And the fact that it was him who binds the ex-Shohoku players together even after all this time," he said to Ryota. "Yet, we must admit that the glue that tighten things up is *him*."

That *him* was now drenching with sweat. His ridiculously red hair was plastered damply on his head, provoking Kiyota to comment on the remarkable resemblance of him with a carrot. Always too sure that everybody was talking about him, Hanamichi stopped his dancing and ambled back toward his friends with a grin so big everyone wondered whether it would split his face into two.

Mitsui laughed, "I never thought that there comes the day I admit how I miss this idiot."

Hanamichi gave them his patented insane laughter.

Suddenly, a hush spread from the corner of the hall. The group stopped their chattering and turned their head toward the source of distraction.

"I'll be damned," Ryota whistled when he saw the last of the expected guest finally arrived. "No matter where he is, he still manages to turn every head around."

Hanamichi and Kiyota both snorted with mock disgust.

"He's...," Ayako widened her eyes. "...Gorgeous!"

Ryota snapped his head toward his girlfriend with jealousy burning in his eyes, while Hanamichi quickly glanced toward Haruko who stopped dancing with Yohei and stood so still and stunned.

"Dimwit!" he jumped with real disgust this time. "What's the matter with these girls?"

It was Sendoh who chuckled softly. "Judging from my point of view, I can't blame them at all."

Hanamichi rolled his eyes and stood his 191 cm height up. He yelled, "KITSUNE!" then squeaked when Ayako whacked his head with her handbag, shouting, "Who are you calling dimwit, you idiot?"

The man that stole everyone's attention looked at them coldly, before muttering, "Do'aho," and proceeded to join the rest of them.

"Hah!" Hanamichi grinned. "Still the flat face, huh?"

Actually, "flat" was an understatement. Even Uozumi, the most indifferent man on any physical attribute from a person, was stunned to see Rukawa. Handsome was not an adequate word to describe how he looked now, while 'beautiful' seemed to be feminizing the strange, exotic aura of male attractiveness perfection from him. He was now reaching 190 cm, yet didn't turn wider like Hanamichi, nor gaunter like Hanagata. He was slim, lithe, graceful and harmonious, with muscles perfectly sculpted, making him extremely elegant. It was the glow on his face that made him so angelic. It was no wonder all the female guests were completely speechless.

As usual, it was Hanamichi who had all the honesty of a child to express himself. "Baka, Kitsune. You've grown so pretty it really pisses me off!"

"Where has he been all this time?" Yohei asked his girlfriend, frowning to see her gaping at her former highschool crush in amazement and adoration.

"America," Haruko whispered, eyes turned into little hearts. "His parents enrolled him in North Carolina University."

Yohei snorted. "He didn't change."

It was true, indeed. Ryota and Mitsui were extremely amused to see Rukawa gave them his authentic poker face and cynical silence.

"I heard that you've been very famous," Kogure greeted Rukawa with sincere admiration.

"Some people don't deserve it," Kiyota said with stinging tone.

Maki did not even disguise his obvious envy. "Is it true that you've been drafted as a rookie by the Chicago Bulls?"

Rukawa shrugged and parked his lazy body on the seat beside Hanamichi, practically pushing Yohei out of the way, then blinking his eyes sleepily. Everyone sweatdropped.

"Teme, you've never changed!" Hanamichi laughed loudly. "I sort of wonder why your headshape didn't flatten yet."

Rukawa slowly turned his head around, recognizing all the familiar faces with indifference. The only time he took an interest was when he saw Yohei dragging Haruko away from them.

"You didn't end up with her?" he asked in a surprisingly complete sentence toward Hanamichi.

"Why did everybody ask me that?" Hanamichi pouted. Then he reluctantly answered, "No, I didn't end up with Haruko-san."

"Figures," Rukawa snorted. "All that big mouth without real courage."

"BAKA!" Hanamichi lifted both his hands, ready to strangle Rukawa. Suddenly, he stopped and looked at Rukawa's face with suspicious twinkles in his eyes. "And what about you, you drooling fox? The way I've seen it you have nothing to be proud of."

Kiyota jumped in gleefully. "What's the matter? Those American girls aren't interested with you?"

Ayako said in a pretentious innocence, "I heard from my cousin who also entered North Caroline State said that Rukawa is very popular among the girls."

"I don't see any girlfriend around him," Kiyota said adamantly.

"Hmph," Hanamichi scowled darkly. "First impression is always misguiding. I'm not surprised that they ran as far as possible from him the minute he fell asleep during a date and burped that stinky breath of him all over their hair."

"I'm not interested," Rukawa answered. This stopped Hanamichi from continuing his tirade.

"Excuse me?" Kogure leaned forward.

"I think he wants to say that he's not interested with any girls," Sendoh said with amusement.

Kiyota gaped. "What! Don't tell me that he's *gay*!"

Hanamichi blinked. "Gay?"

Rukawa gave Kiyota a cold glare. "Not interested with the boys either."

Sendoh, Fujima, and Maki laughed.

"People don't interest you that much, do you?" Kogure smiled toward the shrugging Rukawa.

Hanamichi turned toward Kiyota. "What's a *gay*?"

"Stupid monkey," Kiyota gave him a weird look. "It's homosexual. Sexual orientation toward people of the same gender. Got it?"

"That makes Rukawa asexual, I think," Fujima said with repressed laughter.

Hanamichi blinked again. "Asexual?"

"You're hopeless," Kiyota sighed loudly. "It's when a person doesn't have any sexual orientation."

Hanamichi turned toward Rukawa. "Geez, Kitsune! If you don't like people, then what do you like?"

"Basketball," Rukawa said boredly, giving Hanamichi a look that said 'I-can't-believe-that-you-don't-know-anything-about-it-yet'.

Hanamichi turned toward Kiyota gleefully. "I knew it. He's a *basketsexual*!"

Everyone sweatdropped.

The night dragged on, until Ayako, Maki's girlfriend and Mitsui's girlfriend requested their respective boyfriends to go home. Sendoh watched them go with interest, and noting the sudden silence from Fujima. He wasn't surprised when the pretty boy announced his intention to go home as well. This prompt him to also raise from his seat.

"I'd like to go home too," he winked toward Hanamichi, Kiyota, Rukawa and Kogure. "I don't think Hanako will be happy if I come home later than her. Her shift almost ends."

"Hanako?" Kiyota asked. "The last time I heard you're living with a girl named Kobo-chan."

Sendoh whacked his head.

Kogure giggled, then turned toward Rukawa. "Are you staying in the city, Rukawa?"

"My plane will leave the day after tomorrow."

"Do you have a hotel, yet?"

Rukawa shook his head.

"Then where are you going to stay? I know that vacant rooms are very difficult to find in this city during weekends."

Rukawa shrugged. "No idea."

"Aw, geez!" Kiyota slapped his forehead. "He's as hopeless as the red monkey. Rukawa, are you expecting Akagi to provide tents for you?"

"Let him sleep on the street," Hanamichi snorted.

"I would love to take you home with me," Kogure said sheepishly. "However, my plan is to drive back to Kazuo tonight. That may be impractical the day you have to catch your plane."

"I have no room, since I'm staying at my parents' house," Kiyota said.

"Ha! Serves you right, kitsune!" Hanamichi said with satisfaction. "Go find your hotel on your own, though being stranded in airport may suit you better, you bum."

"Why don't you take Rukawa with you, Hanamichi?" Kogure asked. "Your place is nearby, and I know that you have plenty of room."

"And get my apartment infected?" Hanamichi growled. "NO WAY!"

"Come on, be a good boy." Sendoh smiled. "The least you can do is helping Rukawa to find a room somewhere. You're the only one who drove coming here."

Rukawa stood. "Let's go, do'aho."

"Hey! Stop calling me that! And who says I agree with whatever Megane-kun and Needle Hair has suggested?"

The handsome boy yawned. "I'm crashed. Come on. You don't want to carry me home, do you?"

"Baka! How dare you to invite yourself! I tell you... HEY! Kitsune, where are you going, dammit? Get back here! Hey, I'm talking to you!"

Kogure, Sendoh, and Kiyota laughed uproariously.

***

The loud banging of pots and pans woke Rukawa. Normally, that kind of particular noises could not budge an inch of him. However, it seemed that his internal bio-clock hadn't adjusted yet, and apparently, this was the timing of his daily practice back in the US. He immediately remembered where he was, which made him groaned with annoyance, knowing that the source of those disturbance came from the insane ex-rival of him.

"Kitsune! I'm not generous enough to make you a breakfast. Unless you get up this instantly, you'd better try to catch Danny's breakfast hours," Hanamichi shouted from his kitchen.

Rukawa sighed, knowing that he would never be able to continue his sleep any longer. He sat up, squinted his eyes when harsh sunlight slapped on his face, then stretched out. He glanced on his watch and decided that since he did not need to adjust to Japan's timeline, he'd better done what he was supposed to do anyway.

Rummaging his travel bag, he took out his training gear and proceeded to wash himself up. He got out from the bathroom freshly showered and ready to go.

"Well, well," Hanamichi greeted him with a smirk. "Glad to see you haven't changed."

Rukawa noted that the red-haired young man was already in his training gear as well. He shrugged a little then took an empty plate nearby and helped himself with breakfast.

Hanamichi scowled, "How impolite."

"Where do you practice?" Rukawa asked.

"I certainly will not tell you. You'd better find yourself a place, cause I don't like to be bothered with your presence around."

"Why?" Rukawa stared at him. "Too nervous with me around?"

"EEHH?" Hanamichi's eyes widened with anger. A moment later, he smirked and shook his head. "Damn. You got me, Rukawa."

Rukawa snorted. "One on one?"

"Ha! Let's see if Chicago Bulls deserved you alright."

It was an exceptionally pleasant morning. However, that was not the only reason that kept both Rukawa and Hanamichi playing one on one for a long time. They practiced energetically and getting warmer when they were supposed to get tired. Beating one another repeatedly, performing more and more bizarre tricks, re-enacting their long-forgotten competition. It was not surprising that they drew attention from passerbys and managed to get a considerable large crowd.

It was their enthusiasm, which annoyed Rukawa, that finally stopped them. They agreed to take a break, only to realize that they didn't count each other's scores.

"Heh," Hanamichi said with surprise in his face. "Then we don't know who wins."

Rukawa dropped himself on the corner, and started sipping his drink. The crowd quickly thinned, and finally left them alone.

"You know," Hanamichi said in a low tone. "It's strange that I rarely found motivation to train as strong as my highschool days, nowadays. Yet, seeing you again rekindled that."

Rukawa glanced at him, seemingly ready to reply, yet stopped himself. He looked thoughtful, obviously quite surprised to see Hanamichi in his contemplative mood. He also noted Hanamichi's lack of interest to annoy him.

After sometime, he opted to voice his sincere opinion. "You've been doing great, actually."

Hanamichi grinned mischievously. However, he didn't use the opportunity to beat Rukawa down for appraising him for the very first time. Like Rukawa, he recognized the rare occurrence of them both being serious and sincere to each other. He wondered whether it was a result of three years separation, which blunted the sharp edges of their rivalry, or simply a sign of them finally growing up and got over whatever childish traits they used to have.

"How do you know about how I've been doing?"

"I saw you on last year's national tournament."

"You're there?" Hanamichi raised his eyebrows. "Heh. Yeah. We managed to pass the second elimination round." His smile toward Rukawa was surprisingly warm. "I didn't do that bad, huh?"

Somewhat dazed with the bizarreness of such a friendly and comfortable atmosphere between them, Rukawa nodded. "Too bad you didn't get the nomination of MVP. I don't think you're below Sendoh, nowadays."

Hanamichi looked at him, remarkably feeling shy. "Uh, well... Thanks."

Rukawa didn't reply.

"NBA does scouting in Japan as well," Hanamichi said again.

"Hmph," Rukawa snorted. "Though I admit that you're now in Sendoh's league, I'm not sure you can catch their attention."

"BAH!" Hanamichi raised his voice, and laughed uproariously. "No matter how you hide it, kitsune, I *know* that you don't mean it. Come on. You have to admit that even you just can't beat me. Wanna try another round of one on one?"

"I didn't play seriously just now."

"Liar." Hanamichi smiled, but without any menace tone in it. Then he turned serious. "I'm not being boastful, Rukawa, but I *am* in your league, aren't I? We *both* know that since a long time ago."

It took sometime for Rukawa to reply. "Yet you didn't do better."

Hanamichi nodded. "I know."

"You haven't achieved your full potential."

"That's what I thought."

"There isn't much competition here, is it?"

Hanamichi sighed. "I'm the only ace player in my team, even after three years. I kept wishing for a new one, but they never came. I was there all alone." He turned and looked at his friend beside him. "I almost feel sorry that you aren't around anymore. There is not enough stimulation for me to go on."

Rukawa raised his head, eyes watching the sky. A slight uplift formed on the corners of his mouth, which amazed Hanamichi for he was about to see the kitsune smile, even though it was more like a ghost of a smile.

"During my years in America," Rukawa said. "I always wondered on how much you have improved."

Hanamichi stared. He suddenly felt a strange dizziness, a feeling he wasn't familiar with, out of surprise with the unmistakenly realization that Rukawa had just revealed his secret of training motivation. Which was *him*.

"How well am I in your imagination?" he asked curiously.

Rukawa said quietly, "I'm improved greatly, aren't I?"

Hanamichi studied his ex-rival closely, while in the same time recognizing a genuine gratefulness toward Rukawa. There was no doubt now that Rukawa regarded him highly, and actually had used him as a measuring stick toward his own performance.

"Strange, isn't it?" Hanamichi said in a solemn tone. "All those bitter bickering... and yet we were each other's inspirations after all."

Rukawa suddenly smiled for real. "Now you know."

Hanamichi returned the smile with real warmth. "Heh, fox, you should smile more often. It really makes you look good."

Rukawa snorted. "I don't see any importance about making me look good. No one amuses me."

"Except me, huh?"

"It's useless anyway."

"You'll get a good friend by being nicer. Trust me."

Rukawa gave him a "whatever" look. Hanamichi chuckled. They fell into silence once more, yet feeling amazingly comfortable and relax.

After sometime, Hanamichi asked, "What time is your flight tomorrow?"

"Around noon."

"You couldn't get an earlier flight?"

Rukawa softly bit his lower lip. "I thought I spend sometime here."

Hanamichi's eyes softened. "You don't have many friends over there, do you?"

Rukawa shrugged.

"Okay." Hanamichi raised himself and stood up. When he turned to

Rukawa, he caught the boy watching him with curious interest. He smiled. "Wanna go with me touring my campus?" ***** TBC

- fanfictions -