- fanfictions -

Title : OUT
Author : yanthee (yanthee@yahoo.com)
Rating : G for the time being
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu
Parts : 2/5

Rukawa

1997

From the very first moment Rukawa decided to stake his future in the great land of America, he knew that his life would never again be simple. Those risks, however, seemed minor to the reward. Being a professional basketball player meant that his life, twenty four hours and seven days a week, would be solely dedicated to basketball. Any possible hassles he would encounter, such as cultural adjustments, might be insubstantial compared to the satisfaction to be able to train, play, and perform basketball all the time.

However, when his parents instead enrolled him to the university, practically determined to make him a "normal" boy, he was suddenly exposed to a deal without trade-offs. Those "insubstantial things" became larger than life, more real than ever now he had no other thing to compensate. It quickly came to his realization then that he wasn't ready for it.

He was always a quiet and indifferent boy, yet the wide difference of acceptance between Asian and Western cultures had him "labelled" contradictorily. In his home country, his aloofness was normal, and had somehow made him interesting. However, here in the US, where young people were more expected to be energetic, carefree, outspoken and fun, he didn't fit in. Even after four years, he remained friendless. His indifference made him too cold, his exotic good looks too disturbing, and his obvious supremacy and single-mindedness in basketball too intimidating.

He had all the potential to build friendship among his teammates, once he was a member of North Carolina University basketball team. Alas, his competitiveness and individualism weren't taken as lightly as his former ex-Shohoku teammates. It didn't help that his popularity among girls also raised so fast. His teammates were happened to be classic American jocks who thought superiority also meant to be popular to the opposite sex. To them, Rukawa was a real threat.

His last year's trip to Japan proven to be an enlightenment for him. He realized now that the people who could still accept him as he was and never took him for granted were always his high school friends. Furthermore, to his surprise, the only one that truly understood all the stakes of personal achievement in basketball playing and shared the same level of passion for basketball and obsession in winning was none other than his ex-archenemy, Hanamichi.

After all these years, Hanamichi was the only one who was still consistent. Instead of being stalled, he was still growing, becoming more and more powerful. It seemed as if he had no limit to grow, and people kept getting surprised to see what he became after sometime. He was now way ahead from his high school mates and foes, and only those very talented aces like Sendoh and Eiji that could still compete him. It was now a matter of time before he became an MVP, since last year he was appointed to be the starting member of the Japan National team for the Olympic.

Those achievements didn't just intrigue Rukawa. It excited him as well. Suddenly, the prospect of Hanamichi joining him in the US, be a professional NBA basketball players, was no longer impossible. It would be such a thrill to have a worthy competitor, and finally, a friend, to share all those excitements together.

Yes. Friend.

Funny to remember how they eventually had come to that point.

The last time he was in Japan, he had spent one and half day fully with Hanamichi. *Only* with Hanamichi, actually. Rukawa could not imagine having another person to join him that day, since *just* Hanamichi was exhaustingly handful.

They'd bickered constantly, insulted each other, fought and strangled throats. Yet, they also practiced together, went to the arcades and movies together, ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner together.

It was quite a relief when Rukawa left for USA the next day. But then, once he was back again in his campus, he suddenly felt more alienated and lonely than before. Rukawa amazingly realized that the days he had spent with Hanamichi had actually made him feel more alive than ever. He was automatically drowned back in his usual routine of studying and practicing basketball, until a week later, his phone rang.

"Kitsune! Do you have any idea how difficult it was to reach you? It's either you're out or dead! And you have no answering machine either! How do you expect the Tensai to communicate with you? I don't write letters unless it'll bring me great fortune in return!"

For the first time ever, Rukawa actually sputtered, trying to remember how to say hello.

The idiot actually *called* him?

After a long meaningless babbling and tirade, it was clarified that Hanamichi had wondered about Rukawa's dirty laundry and shoes left in his apartment. It was pretty touching that the red monkey didn't just dump them at the garbage bin, though later on Hanamichi shamelessly asking if he could claim them. There wasn't any doubt in Rukawa's mind that the do'aho was planning to sell the shoes, and whether he gave his permission or not wouldn't change a thing.

Their conversation, however, surprisingly ended forty five minutes later.

And what a conversation! It was colorful, with Hanamichi's strings of shouts, growls, lunatic laughters, and dumb questions, as well as Rukawa's strings of grunts, snorts, low tone curses, and cynical replies. They talked about basketballs, as usual, themselves, as usual, and each other's life after they separated, which was unusual. It was strange how they both got extremely comfortable talking to each other and genuinely reluctant to end it.

Rukawa didn't analyze it further, except believing that maybe communicating with Hanamichi without actually seen his annoying smirks proven to be much easier to handle. He could concentrate and actually *listen*, which wasn't that boring, since he knew Hanamichi was never been boring. He did wonder whether Hanamichi regarded him as the boring one, though. However, he knew that in a matter of providing smart and "smart-ass" replies that could keep Hanamichi intrigued, no matter how short they were, he was the best candidate.

The next morning, Rukawa bought an answering machine.

And then Japan's National Tournament began, and the phone calls became a twice-a-week regular. More, when Hanamichi's team entered the final, and lost.

After the high frequency died down due to exam periods at both sides of the Atlantic, the Chicago Bulls started training their potential rookies. The calls became daily. This time, Rukawa was the one initiating most of them.

Just like what he used to do since moving to America, Rukawa spent his birthday on his uncle's ranch. It was a relieving occasion, since being around his relatives proven to be therapeutic after all those loneliness in campus. However this time, he was extremely restless. He felt at loss, wondering why he didn't own a cell phone and why he was upset with that fact. He came back a day earlier, full of expectations. It was a strange emotion for him. The first thing he did was checking his answering machine. When he found Hanamichi's dozen weird messages of birthday greetings, he had spent a full day dazed in happiness.

After some painful negotiation with his parents, he managed to buy a cell phone. One day, he called Hanamichi while sitting on one of the park bench outside his campus. He had meant to kill one hour interval between his classes, yet he ended up talking for two hours, never bothered to come to his next class or even worried about the probably humongous amount of phone bill he would receive later on.

What prompted those calls?

They still fought and bickered during those long calls, but it was that strange connection of understanding basketball that somehow connected them.

They actually had that connection since a long time ago, back when they were both still freshmen in Shohoku. However, personal rivalry and animosity between them at that time were more important from all other things. Now, when they got over it, it suddenly felt real and substantial.

"Do you remember our match with Ryonan to get the second ticket to our first National Championship?" Hanamichi had asked on one of their earlier phone conversation.

"The one where your head bled?"

"Hell, yeah. I was so angry being beaten by Fukuda, remember? At that time I was determined to do whatever I could to beat him back."

"I reminded you that it's your weak defense that was being exploited by them."

"Yeah," Hanamichi's voice was solemn. "It was not until later on I realized how grateful I was for you doing that."

Rukawa spent a long second in silence, before he replied. "Why?"

"I suppose I need that kind of kick in the butt," Hanamichi chuckled. "I don't care about Shohoku losing at the time. All I can think of to match Fukuda head-to-head."

"Hmph," Rukawa snorted. "You didn't know when to draw back and stop. You thought you just have to be ahead of everything with the expense of the team."

"Like you didn't!" Hanamichi said. "You're practically going crazy when Sendoh did the same thing to you."

Rukawa almost smiled. "But then, you're the one who gave me the kick in the butt."

"You got that right, Kitsune!" Hanamichi said gleefully. "Tokyo Uni had a freshman ace that really burned my ilk like that, you know. He's also appointed as Japan's national team this year. I just can't stand him."

"Do you react in a similar stupid manner?"

"Maybe," Hanamichi laughed. "Though I'm a lot smarter now than before."

Rukawa almost spoke his agreement aloud, yet, caught himself.

"But I do wish that you're here," Hanamichi sighed. "It wasn't too fun to kick my own butt."

Rukawa was speechless.

Now, a full year after they last seen and spent time together in Japan, their friendship was never more stronger.

This morning, they were talking about the possibility of Rukawa signing a permanent contract for the Bulls, when suddenly Hanamichi noticed that Rukawa was more silent than usual. Sure, Rukawa was almost always silent. But he rarely did when he was on the phone with Hanamichi. There was never any doubt to Hanamichi that something was on his friend's mind. Finally, he asked why.

"Actually...," Rukawa said, then stopped himself. "I think..."

He practically could *hear* Hanamichi lifting his eyebrows at the other end of the line.

"Yes? I think blah blah blah... think *what*, Rukawa?" Hanamichi's tone was distinctively impatient.

"I'll be in Tokyo on Sunday," Rukawa said.

"Huh?" Hanamichi sounded dumb as usual. "Oh!" This time he sounded excited. "Really?" There was an underlying confusion, though.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Uh, well... I want to visit my mother."

"Why? Is she sick or something?"

"No. No. I... well... kind of... miss her." Which was sounded unconvincing. Hanamichi knew he wasn't close to his parents. It was clearly a lame excuse, and Rukawa wondered whether his friend caught on that.

"Great!" Hanamichi's tone was genuinely happy. It seemed that his strange mind decided to skip on the cause but focused more on the outcome. "You can see my first qualification match, then! It's on Monday."

Rukawa shrugged. "Yeah, I know."

*Know* was an understatement, of course, because he had memorized Hanamichi's match schedules for this year's tournament by heart. He refused to dwell on why he suddenly surrendered to his impulse to jump on the first plane and catch Hanamichi's first match.

"Will you be here long enough?"

"Maybe," Rukawa shrugged again, though he knew Hanamichi couldn't see it. "Depends. Two weeks at the most."

"Great!" Hanamichi laughed. "It's really great, Rukawa! You know? The timing is just perfect."

"Yeah," Rukawa smiled. "It is."

"You have to stay in my place... Okay? We do a little one-on-one again in the morning."

"Yeah," Rukawa swallowed.

"In fact, I'm going to pick you up on the airport!"

"Okay."

"This is.. this is absolutely great!"

Rukawa couldn't even make a proper reply. Hanamichi's sincere excitement was suddenly overwhelming. His stomach knotted.

"Well, hell, I'm going to hang up now, and clean my apartment, okay? Judging from this whole mess, I'll need two full days to make it habitable for you. Heh."

"Just in time, then."

"Yes, Rukawa. Wow. This is so great."

"See you, then."

"Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

"......."

"......."

"Heh, Fox, you'd better hang up."

Rukawa smiled again. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

Sigh.

"Bye, Kitsune." Hanamichi hung up.

***

Hanamichi

1997

Hanamichi was known to be a great friend. Once he set his mind on somebody, and proclaimed him or her as "the Tensai's friend", they'd get a royal treatment forever. He was loyal, generous, and forgiving. Sometimes he was hard on them, but Yohei, Okusu, Noma and Takamiya had proofs that once Hanamichi was "it" for them, they had a true friend and ally for life.

Being a member of the Shohoku's basketball team was a life-changing experience for Hanamichi. With these boys, he had experienced tremendous pressures and worked together to overcome it. It might be different than being in a gang and fought together, yet, there were similarities in many ways. He wasn't exactly aware at the time, but with the other team members, Hanamichi had sealed another kind of solid camaraderie. They were together, bonded, and be brothers forever.

With Rukawa nowadays, those invisible bond had taken a real form for the first time. Rukawa was now the only ex-Shohoku team member beside him that managed to keep himself as an ace. Akagi had reached his limit and could not go further, as well as Ryota, Mitsui, and Kogure. True to Anzai-sensei prediction, those who managed to reach the highest level would eventually come down to only two players, Hanamichi and Rukawa. It was just a matter of time before the two rivals realized that in the end, the glory would only be shared by the two of them.

Being really connected a year before, there was now never any doubt in Hanamichi's mind that Rukawa was one of his "tribe" now. A *special* tribe member.

The one he desperately needed at the moment.

He had been in a real stress after losing last year's final competition. The appearance of Kobayashi Nobu, an ace from Hiroshima who was still a freshman, had unnerved and humiliated him to no end. The young man was the typical rival he hated the most. Huge, rude, and sly. A sort of blend between Uozumi, Fukuda, Kiyota, and Rukawa. He could handle the "huge" and "rude" part, but when it came to a battle of wits, he needed help.

Once Rukawa landed on Narita, he practically showered his friend with attention and generosity. Buying him big lunch, preparing his bed, asking about the journey. It hadn't crossed his mind at the moment how Rukawa settled down immediately in his apartment instead of going to visit his parents like he was supposed to do.

They spent their first night watching videos of Hiroshima University's matches, discussing about Kobayashi's possible strength and weaknesses. The next morning, they both spent an hour practicing before heading directly to Tokyo by train, to catch on Hanamichi's first match.

"I prefer you to sit above my team's box, Rukawa," Hanamichi said. "If I do something stupid, just yell. If you can't yell, at least try to be visible from my view so I can read your signs."

"Who do you think I am, your mother?" Rukawa snorted.

However, Rukawa sat exactly on the spot Hanamichi had suggested, and at the front row, no less.

His presence baffled everyone. Even when he walked through the rows and chose his seat, hush silence fell around him. Followed by soft murmurs.

"Isn't that...?"

"Rukawa Kaede!"

"The only Japanese drafted by the Chicago Bulls!"

"What is he doing here?"

"Sugoi! He's so kawaii!"

"Gorgeous!"

The first person who greeted him gregariously was none other than Takamiya. "Sly Fox! What the hell are you doing here?"

Immediately, all other people followed the example. Hands were stretched, begged to be shaken. Soft slaps landed on his shoulder. Even "hello"s, "how are you"s, and "hi"s, were thrown all over, seemingly unfazed with Rukawa's zero reaction.

Hanamichi saw how his friend practically stole the whole stadium's attention and snorted disgustedly.

"I can't believe I saw Rukawa Kaede over there," one of his teammate said. "Why does he want to see this match?"

"Hey!" Hanamichi scowled. "He knew the worth of matches with Tensai in it! Don't you know that he also does some talent scouting for the NBA?" It was a lie, of course, but it practically made his friends gaped.

"He specially came here to see me." Hanamichi smiled with arrogance. His chest expanded proudly. "In fact, he's willing to give me some tips, if I need it."

He saw his teammates' eyes rounded with awe, and bawled into his patented lunatic laughter.

Little did he know how true his statement was.

Somehow extra confident with Rukawa's presence, and the fact that his friend's silent, yet larger than life, presence had unnerved his opponents, Hanamichi won the first match in a straight 130 - 54.

He couldn't stop his lunatic laughter for the whole day.

"You make me deaf, do'aho," Rukawa sighed.

Hanamichi grinned like an idiot, too happy and satisfied with how well things had turned out. "I can't believe this! They practically peed in their pants when I told them that you'll be my secret advisor during the match, Rukawa. Even my coach was intimidated by your presence, and wondered if it was better to invite you to sit beside him and gave him advice! Bwahaha! That's completely ridiculous!"

"Hmph."

"Hey, Kitsune, when are you going to visit your parents?"

Rukawa glanced at him with an unreadable gaze. "When will be your next match?"

"Two days later."

"Then I'll go visit them tomorrow."

Hanamichi said hesitantly, "I wish you will spend the rest of your two weeks' stay in my place, Rukawa."

Rukawa snorted. "I have a home and parents, you know."

"Can I go with you tomorrow and request their permission?"

"Do'aho. I'll stay here no matter what."

Hanamichi grinned widely. "I sure hope so! You'd better watch all my games. Your ugly face turned out to be pretty useful to me, bwa ha ha ha."

Rukawa turned his head away, hiding his smile. "Okay."

***

The next ten days, Hanamichi booked a glorious series of victories. He performed amazingly and inspiringly, somehow lifting all of his other team mates. All of his games drew incredible attention, both from the crowd and the press. Part of such popularity was the spreading news of Rukawa's appearance and constant presence in all of Hanamichi's matches. No basketball lovers in Japan weren't familiar with Rukawa's name. Not only he was the candidate for Japan's national team captain for the next Olympic Games, he was hailed all over Japan as the next Michael Jordan. A bit too optimistic, maybe, but nonetheless, it had catapulted Rukawa's reputation as a sport celebrity.

His presence intrigued a lot of people. Speculations abounded, and Hanamichi used it as a kind of self-promotion in which he nominated himself as the next NBA rookie, therefore explained Rukawa's presence as a talent-scouting occasion.

It turned out that not only the public at large became interested in seeing the national university championship, ex friends and foes that no longer active in basketball started showing up in Hanamichi's matches. Many of them had a particular reason, which was wanting to see with their own eyes about the bizarreness of it all. Rukawa and Hanamichi might be ex-team mates, but they were also fierce competitors. The idea of them being friendly toward each other was as alien as a frog flying to the moon.

Akagi, Kogure, Ryota, and Mitsui had come when Hanamichi faced Kyoto University. The match became pretty nostalgic, since Hanamichi was meeting Sendoh, who was in his last year in college. Maki and Fujima were both in the bench. The first acted as the manager, the other as Kyoto's coach. As predicted, they were amazed to see where Rukawa placed his sentiment. Supporting Hanamichi? They discussed to each other whether American diet had made Rukawa finally lost his sanity.

One time, when Hanamichi started to lose concentration, Rukawa had leaned forward and yelled, "Take it out, do'aho!"

Akagi, Mitsui, Ryota and Kogure gasped.

Hanamichi stopped and turned toward Rukawa. Startled, yet looking grateful. "What?"

"The panic you're facing. Take it out. It's all or nothing."

Both Hanamichi and Rukawa didn't realize how the stadium had hushed into silence and all eyes were turned on them.

"I must be dreaming," Akagi whispered. "Uh huh," Ryota agreed.

"I'm not panic!" Hanamichi growled toward Rukawa.

"It's only Sendoh."

Sendoh raised his eyebrows.

"You're invincible," Rukawa said. "You already know that."

Hanamichi stared at Rukawa for a long moment, then said, "Hell, yeah."

He beat Kyoto 98-90.

Akagi and Mitsui were speechless for an unlimited time, despite Ryota and Kogure's assurance that it was a good thing after all to see Rukawa cheering Hanamichi. However, they all seemed to agree that there had to be *something* behind this all.

It was much, much later, when Hanamichi was gleefully showing off his superiority to his ex-team mates, Fujima silently left them and went to corner Rukawa.

They were both standing at the top balcony, looking down toward the commotion below, completely isolated from anyone they knew.

"It was a surprise to see you again, Rukawa," Fujima said.

Rukawa didn't reply.

"You can't do it, can you?"

Rukawa glanced quickly, eyes full of suspicion. "What do you mean?"

"Staying away from him." Fujima's head turned toward the direction of Hanamichi, who was now straining his necks with searching eyes, looking for Rukawa.

Rukawa's face turned colder. He kept himself silent.

"He was the kind that will drown you," Fujima whispered.

The strange tone made Rukawa lift his head with curiosity. He warily studied Fujima's face, who was suddenly looking very sad and contemplative.

"What do you mean?" he finally asked.

Fujima sighed, eyes bored into the other side of the crowd. The Kyoto team. Rukawa wondered which person among them Fujima was seeing.

Fujima said, "It's either you plunged in, or run away. You can't be in between. It hurts."

Rukawa growled softly, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Fujima looked at him, eyes still bored with sadness but with a hint of sympathy. The sincerity of it made Rukawa freeze in a strange panic.

"Rukawa!" Hanamichi's shout broke both young men's reveries.

Feeling anxious and agitated, Rukawa quickly left. "Excuse me."

He practically felt Fujima's sad stare boring the back of his skull. It made him shivered.

***

Unfortunately, Rukawa's time was up before Hanamichi's final match. There wasn't anything they both could do to postpone his leaving, despite their obvious efforts.

Hanamichi was moping all the way to the airport, while Rukawa was extremely silent. It was when they finally reached the departing gate, Hanamichi realized the finality of it all.

"I hate this, Rukawa. You're supposed to be there when I beat that Kobayashi monkey," he said in a petulant tone.

"You'll beat him." Rukawa gave him a look full of confidence. "I've trained everything you need to know."

Hanamichi curled his arm around Rukawa's shoulder. "Come home soon, Kitsune. You'll be Captain for the Olympic, okay?"

"We'll see."

"When you finally got the final contract with Bulls, tell me. I want to visit you as a change."

"You gave your word. Keep it."

"Ha! As if the Tensai is not a man of honor."

They both stared to one another, eyes full of emotions.

Hanamichi felt his heart thundered so suddenly. "Kaede-kun?"

Rukawa looked a bit startled. Then he suddenly blushed. Apparently, nobody else except his parents had dared to call him Kaede. He smiled. "Yes?"

Hanamichi grinned. "Thanks for everything."

Rukawa stretched his hand and Hanamichi shook it warmly.

"Take care, Hana-kun."

This time, it was Hanamichi who blushed. He smiled shyly. "You too."

***

TBC

- fanfictions -