- fanfictions -

Title : Perceptions: All in that smile - Part 3 of RuHana Trilogy
Author : Liez
Pairing : RuHana/HanaRu + others
Parts : 7

He tried to scream, but water was filling his mouth. The salt water stung his eyes as he was dragged deeper, deeper. He couldn't breathe. He thrashed and flailed to no avail, and panic filled him as he finally succumbed and screamed silently…until he was hauled up, viciously. The grip on his arm was going to leave bruises later, but he couldn't care less as water spilled from his hair, into his eyes, and he choked, grateful for the air, coughing and tearing as his feet found shaky ground on the slipping sands. He felt warm arms encircle him, then a low voice.

"Do'aho."

You tricked me!

@@@

They stood there, panting hard, looking at each other, ice-blue gaze to honey-brown, Hanamichi with disbelief and Rukawa with silent solemnity.

Give me another chance, Hana…

Before the redhead had a chance to say anything, Rukawa embraced him fiercely, held so tightly that the other boy gasped for breath. He buried his face in the broad shoulder, taking in the scent, the familiar touch. I'm so sorry, do'aho. I misunderstood everything, I-I love you. Please. Give me another chance.

The last thought he spoke aloud, putting all his heart into the plea. The two figures stood chest-deep in water, illuminated by the warm shadows the rising sun cast on the dappling water.

@@@

"Give me another chance."

Hanamichi couldn't believe his ears. Yes! His heart shouted. But his mind kept going back to the night before, seeing Rukawa in Sendoh's arms, the two heads close together, the kiss…

As if reading his thoughts, Rukawa's arms tightened even more around him.

"Sendoh…I don't know what's in his mind, do'aho. But I know…"

Hanamichi waited quietly, waiting for his heart to stop its racing beat, as the waves lapped quietly around them.

"I know what's in my heart." Please take me back. "I need you." I'm sorry for the pain I tore in your heart. I love you, Hana.

Hanamichi pulled back and looked deep into Rukawa's eyes. Eyes bluer than the deepest sapphires looked back at him, honest, open and direct, for one of the first times completely devoid of their emotionless mask. And he knew. He knew what his heart said, too.

"I need you too," he whispered back.

@@@

Later, as the sun baked the hot stones beneath their feet, Rukawa stopped and turned to face Hanamichi. The sea breeze dappled the grass around them, and carried a faint scent of salt and flowers. This is where we began, isn't it?

Hanamichi looked around them, and a slow smile spread across his face. This place is imprinted on my memory. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it. Or that night…

Rukawa pulled him close, and he leaned into the embrace, his own arms curving up to encircle the shoulders of the dark-haired boy. Rukawa smiled as all his burdens lifted, and he leaned forward and, catching the other boy softly to him, whispered something in his ear which made Hanamichi throw back his head, pure joy ringing in his laughter as he bent his head to kiss the other boy fiercely.

Be my Valentine.

end of part 7

- fanfictions -