- fanfictions -

Title: Time will tell
Author: F5C
Rating: PG for now
Posted: Fanfiction.net (not yet there… my account is screwed up… that or my comp,… but as soon as it is possible it will be posted there too)
E-mail: chatterbox_shil@yahoo.com

Part 4

Miyagi looked at Akagi and the two other seniors who had just entered the gym.

"Akagi, Mitsui, Kogure… what are y'all doing here? Don't y'all have practice to attend at Uni?" asked Miyagi confused but glad that they were there.

It was a new year. Those three had already left and he was now the captain. Today was the day they met the new players and the truth be told that he was a bit nervous but he was also very glad that his three sempais were here.

"Today is when the new intake comes in… we came to watch. Practice was dismissed as we all wanted to go to our respective schools to check out the new intake" stated Mitsui.

"Hi there Akagi sempai, Mitsui sempai and Kogure sempai… I am glad that y'all decided to come. It just seems so different without you guys here and you know the fact that Rukawa left for training and Sakuragi left…" the sentence trailed off in a whisper as everybody remembered that idiot. At one point in time they would have thought that he not being there would be a blessing but when he left they realized how wrong they were. They couldn't wait for his return but a month later they were told that he was staying there forever and they missed him even more. They actually missed the bickering and his stupidity and the way he always managed to give them hope in a game.

"Rukawa comes back today" stated Ayako breaking the silence.

"Really?" asked Haruko with hearts in her eyes.

Suddenly from the entrance piercing screams could be heard and then Rukawa entered the gym.

"Rukawa" murmured Haruko on seeing him

Rukawa looked at his sempais and nodded his head in a greeting after which he head for the locker room to change.

"Well… everything is back to normal… or nearly back to normal" said Ayako as she turned to join Miyagi who was greeting the new players.

//Hmm… they don't know that it is me and I plan on giving them a surprise// Hanamichi stood in a line with the rest of the freshmen. He had done this the year before when he had first joined Shohoku but he was doing it again as he planned on surprising everyone.

Miyagi looked at the last guy in the line and eyed him warily. //There is something very familiar bout this guy!// "Introduce yourself. And why are you wearing a sweater?"

Hanamichi smiled as he heard Miyagi talk to him. //Good! They don't recognize me!// Hanamichi was wearing a black bandana on his head totally covering his hair and he wore a sweater just to make him even more mysterious. He had changed a bit in a year. He was better built and more muscular and his face looked more mature than before.

"Takeshi Oda. 191cm. I usually play power forward and can also play centre. I just moved to Japan and I am wearing a sweater cause I am not feeling well… but I can still play" he stated allowing an American accent to coat his Japanese.

Miyagi looked at the player in front of him. There was something bothering him about this guy but he couldn't put his finger on it. "Okay! Warm up! We are having a practice match! Year 1's and 2's against Year 3's" and with that Miyagi turned around to start warming up.

"Hey why not let us play? After all we use to be members, ne?" said Mitsui aloud.

"If the team doesn't mind then fine" replied Miyagi.

Nobody said anything so Akagi, Mitsui and Kogure walked to the locker room to change and soon enough they were warming up as well.

The game was intense. After all Rukawa was in the opposing team… but Rukawa himself would not be able to beat Miyagi, Akagi, Kogure and Mitsui. In actual fact, Rukawa was aided by Takeshi and together they played wonderfully but still the seniors were ahead by two points.

//This is my chance… they haven't seen the Tensai's greatness yet… and I shall show them now//

One of the freshmen called Mao had the ball in hand but he was being guarded by Kogure and didn't know what to do. Time was running out. Hanamichi managed to elude Akagi who was guarding him and he ran to Mao and took hold of the ball. Dribbling the ball with skill and accuracy he managed to bypass Mitsui who tried to block him and Akagi who was also there. He performaed a fake and then took a step back and shot. The ball swooshed into the hoop and the bell buzzed. Game over. The juniors had won for the first time by one point. Akagi and Mitsui were irritated by the fact that they had been eluded whilst the rest of the team looked at the player in awe. Mummers were heard in the gym comparing him to Rukawa.

Hanamichi was glad of the effect his shot had. He took off his sweater then struck his Tensai pose and said "Now you now the greatness of the Tensai! Nyahaha!" and with that he took off his bandana revealing his thick red hair which was now shoulder length. He shook his head (A/N: like something out of a shampoo ad… he has marvelous hair!) and then proceeded to tie it in a ponytail.

All the people stared at him. Their jaws touched the floor while they looked at Hanamichi who was now with the rest of his GUNDAM laughing maniacally while claiming money from the lost bets.

"Sakuragi! You're back" said Ayako overjoyed at seeing this particular red head.

"Aaa… yes. I am back in school and the club" stated Hanamichi glad to be welcomed back by the managress.

"My god… you look different now… nice hair!" commented Ayako while she playfully twirled his long hair.

"Ahahaha! Finally you see the Tenasai's good looks!"

"Takeshi Oda huh? My foot" said Miyagi whilst approaching the red head. "I knew you looked familiar. So are you staying or you going to leave again?" asked Miyagi a tinge of hurt lacing his voice.

"Nope Ryochin! I am staying! My mom is still in America but I've decided to come back… after all we made a deal"

"Deal?"

"Yea… I had to stay there for a year after which I could come back here if I wanted"

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"I wanted to surprise you… which I did… Nyahaha! Ita!! *hit by Ayako's fan* and I had to follow some rules as well so it wasn't for sure. But it is good to be back… I am still in the team ne?"

Miyagi nodded "Of course you are… ano… your skills have improved… that's good!"

By now the group was joined by Mitsui and Akagi who had popping x-shaped veins on their foreheads. They couldn't believe that this baka had eluded them.

*POW* "Ita!! Gori! What did I do wrong this time?" yelled an irritated Hanamichi.

"You never told us about this deal!" said Akagi firmly.

"Nyahaha! You're just jealous that I beat you and Micchy! I am the Tensai"

*POW* "Stop talking nonsense!" stated Akagi

"Yeah!" added a mildly insulted Mitsui as he was glad that the annoying brat was back.

"It was just luck that you eluded him! D'aho"

On hearing Rukawa say this, Hanamichi approached his rival and challenged him to a one-on-one.

Rukawa looked at the red head in front him and realized that he had changed. He was serious. Curious to find out how much he had changed Rukawa willingly accepted the challenge.

The rest of the team watched in disbelief as they saw Hanamichi and Rukawa walk back on the court for a one-on-one. They had expected Hanamichi to hurl his usual insults but instead he had challenged him to a one-on-one. They realized that his skills had improved in the game but had they really improved that much? This was Hanamichi they were talking about… he had learned the game in 3 months… so they didn't know what to expect.

"Hey Kitsune! I am back and I am going to beat you now! What are the rules?" asked Hanamichi

"D'aho! First to get five shots wins!" replied Rukawa.

Maki, Jin, Fujima, Hanagata, and Uozumi entered the gym and they were totally unprepared for the sight that greeted them.

Hanamichi heard a loud gasp and turned to see where it came from. The challenge hadn't started yet but everyone could already feel the heat from the two players.

"Hey there… look it is the Old man, substitute and the big ape! What are you guys doing here" said Hanamichi happily.

"Is that Sakuragi and why is he playing against Rukawa?" asked Hanagata as they had now joined the rest of the team to watch the challenge.

"Yes it is me the Tensai! Nyahaha!"

"Yup that is him alright and I am not an old man!" shouted Maki

"He challenged Rukawa to a game and we want to see if he has improved… you never know… after all it is Hanamichi!" and with that they all focused on the two players.

Hanamichi // Okay this is my chance… I got to be serious and play my best!//

They hadn't expected the game to be this way. Intense would be an understatement. Rukawa had already got 4 shots and Hanamichi had got 3. The fact that he had managed to elude Rukawa's guard already showed that he had improved a lot. His defense was as tight as Rukawa's. Hanamichi had the ball in hand.

//Okay concentrate! I am going to win! I have played against people like him before… I have won… but now I have to prove it!//

Hanamichi dribbled the ball slowly taking his time. He needed this shot! Then he attacked. Fluidly he dribbled the ball. Rukawa still managed to guard him but then Hanamichi changed his style of playing.

Rukawa looked at the red head in front of him. //He has changed and become better… but I am still the best and I shall prove it!// he managed to stay with Hanamichi throughout his attack blocking him and maintaining his guard. Suddenly, he saw Hanamichi eyes flash… he was going to attack// but I'll stop him// Hanamichi did a perfect fake and eluded Rukawa. It was as if he and the ball were one. Hanamichi performed a slam dunk and all was quiet in the gym.

The score was now 4-4. Hanamichi had tied it… if Rukawa got this then he would win but finally the rest of the team saw Hanamichi in a different light. He wasn't that baka that had left them but he was now a good player… one that was as good as Rukawa.

//I have to block this!// Rukawa attacked but Hanamichi had read his move perfectly and managed to get the ball back. //Lets end the game… I win!// Hanamichi move forward dribbling the ball smoothly and he tried to attack. Rukawa's defense had become tighter… that was expected and with this Hanamichi withdrew backwards.

//He is going for a three pointer!// I shall stop him! And with that Rukawa jumped up as Hanamichi did… but to his utter horror the red head leaned backwards and shot. The ball went in… he had lost! "I've changed. Don't you dare underestimate the Tensai again!" said Hanamichi softly so that only the two of them heard it. The words were coated with hate and malice and with that Hanamichi left to join the others at the bench.

A similar thought passed through all their minds //Fade out?! He managed to do it so easily!// "Nyahaha! See I am the Tensai!"

*POW* "Ita!! What did I do now?"

"Stop being so obnoxious!" grunted Akagi. He too along with the others were stunned by Hanamichi's performance. His game had totally changed. He had managed to beat Rukawa… Rukawa! Akagi looked up to find Rukawa eyeing Hanamichi. His glare was colder than it had ever been before and there was something else in his eyes… but Akagi couldn't pinpoint it.

Hanamichi saw Anzai-sensei in the corner and approached him. As soon as he reached, he did the usual pulling of the chin thing while talking to Anzai-sensei who was oh oh ohing away. Everybody stared at Hanamichi they were completely stunned and now they wondered if Hanamichi had changed even more than they had expected.

end of part 4

- fanfictions -