- fanfictions -

Title: Time will tell
Author: F5C
Rating: PG for now
Posted: Fanfiction.net (not yet there… my account is screwed up… that or my comp,… but as soon as it is possible it will be posted there too)
E-mail: chatterbox_shil@yahoo.com

Part 5

Time went by and soon enough a month had already passed. Everything was back to normal… the bickering between Rukawa and Hanamichi was still there and Ayako's paper fan came in very handy as Akagi wasn't there anymore. Yup! Everything was normal… that is with the exception of Hanamichi's skills which had dramatically improved.

The day after he had returned… Rukawa had challenged Hanamichi to a one-on-one again… same rules… and this time he won, much to the satisfaction of the shinetai. After which the two consistently challenged each other to one-on-ones after practice. They improved dramatically… Rukawa was more willing to pass the ball and as for Hanamichi… he wasn't the idiot he use to be.... unfortunately… some things don't change… for example he still remained a self proclaimed Tensai and he stilled had the most irritating laugh ever… but he too had changed.

It had taken a while for the rest to notice these changes… they were small but still it made a difference. He wasn't as naïve as he use to be… when he was around strangers he actually thought before acting… as I said, he had changed… though when with his friends he still remained that naïve, irritating self proclaimed Tensai. One of the greatest changes would have to be his scholastic performance. No more did he get 7 red marks… he was now one of the high achievers in the class. This was a great relief to Ayako… but to Miyagi and the rest they were stunned… that baka has brains?? Ohmigod the world must be coming to an end! The teachers were stunned as well… Hanamichi was the same person in class… he slept during class, interrupted the classes suddenly when he awoke from a nightmare and was still annoying as hell… but they didn't say a word as he did well in classes.

Hanamichi entered the gym followed by his gundam, Rukawa was already there practicing.

"Oi! Kitsune… ready for a one-on-one today after practice?"

"D'aho, not today"

"Teme kitsune! Why not?"

"D'aho… none of your business!"

"Answer me kitsune! Don't you dare ignore the Tensai!"

Rukawa just sighed and resumed shooting hoops as for Hanamichi he continued yelling his head off but finally after quite sometime he left for the locker room.

"D'aho"

See some things will never change. *sigh* Anywayz back to the fic.

Practice went on as usual and they had a practice game. Year 2's and 3's against the Year 1's. The game was quite a biased one as Hanamichi, Miyagi and Rukawa were all in one team… but this had been purposely done so as to help train the freshmen. Akagi, Kogure and Mitsui came over quite often and nowadays, they attended nearly every practice as the IH tournament was soon going to start.

The Year 1's were losing badly and Miyagi kept on shouting at them advising them on what to do. Akagi would join in once in a while but usually he was just an onlooker.

Sakuragi and one of the freshmen jumped for the rebound. Hanamichi caught it but as the freshman landed he accidentally elbowed Sakuragi in the neck and that was when all hell broke loose.

Hanamichi felt the elbow hit his neck… hard… it had touched his vein… and with that Hanamichi dropped the ball, fell to his knees and clutching his neck he started to choke.

Ayako watched in horror as Sakuragi let go of the ball… he was choking… and with that she ran to help him.

Rukawa saw the d'aho fall to his knees… at first he had thought that the baka had lost his balance but then he heard the choking noises and turned to see Hanamichi on his knees clutching his neck.

Hanamichi was trying his level best to calm down but to no avail. He knew that it was just a stupid reaction to his phobia. He opened his eyes and saw Rukawa kneeling down in front of him… he was trying to help. "Teme kitsune! I don't need your help!" Hanamichi managed to blurt out. "D'aho!"

Rukawa ignored the red head who was trying his best to annoy him… he was actually succeeding… lucky for him Rukawa didn't believe in hurting those who aren't able to protect themselves. Slowly and carefully Rukawa took of the bandages. (A/N: ever since he returned Hanamichi wears bandages around his neck… nobody knows why… and they always forget to ask him.)

Hanamichi felt better as the last bandage dropped to the floor. He had finally managed to calm down that and the fact that he was breathing did help. He felt the air enter his lungs and the overall effect was utter peace. The air soothed his stressed lungs and finally with his heart beat back to a normal pace he looked up at the kitsune and said "Arigatou gozaimaste kitsune" and with that he stood up slowly. He felt dizzy once he was on his feet but that only lasted for a few seconds and when he had completely recovered… he noticed everyone staring at him.

The last bandage was off and Rukawa didn't know how to react to the sight that greeted him. He was further shocked when that red head thanked him… the sincerity in his voice threw Rukawa off balance and finally when he had recovered he muttered his usual d'aho and stood up.

Hanamichi heard the curse but instead of retorting he smiled and then snorted. Rukawa was stunned by this reaction. That baka had such a wonderful smile! He had expected the usual kitsune retort but instead he had been greeted by a smile. This day was getting weirder and weirder.

Everybody stared at Hanamichi… they were stunned… they never imagined this in all their lives. "Sakuragi… maybe you should come and sit down… take a break" said Ayako. "Hmm… okay"

Soon enough the game resumed… but Rukawa and Miyagi had stopped playing. Miyagi stood at the sidelines with Akagi discussing plays whilst advising the players.

Rukawa had joined the group at the bench… he was seated next to the red head who was now gladly gulping down a drink while observing the game with a critical eye. He would have never thought that it was possible for that idiot to be serious about anything… but again he had been proved wrong. He hated the way that this idiot was able to always prove him otherwise… he managed to prove his words and he was dedicated. He hated the fact that he had improved so much. It was nice to play with him… a challenge and all… but the fact that he had learned it all in only one year pissed Rukawa to the max. He now admitted the fact that he preferred the red head how he was a year ago… a naïve, irritating baka who didn't know how to play. Not much had changed… he was still a naïve, irritating baka but now he knew how to play and that irritated the heck out of Rukawa cause now he couldn't look down on him. It sounds chauvinistic but it is the truth… he hated the fact that he now had to respect this red head for the way he played… he had morals and it was one of them to openly respect good players but he cringed at the idea of respecting the brash loud mouth sitting next to him. //how the hell had he changed so much, so quickly… but still remained himself?// Rukawa stared at Sakuragi's neck thinking that maybe the answer lay there.

"Kitsune… what are you looking at? You're not gay are you cause if you are then I have to say sorry my heart already belongs to someone else" Hanamichi said smugly while hearts appeared in his eyes as he saw Haruko.

"D'aho"

"Nani?! Teme kitsune!" instead of going on he broke into another smile and looked at Rukawa face to face and said "Don't worry… I won't fight you today… I owe you my life after all"

Rukawa looked at the red head his cold façade still intact but he kept on thinking about how weird the day was getting.

Mitsui overheard the conversation and joined in.

"He? Saved your life? Explain that? He would rather see you dead!" and the last comment earned a glare from Rukawa.

Mitsui raised his hands in a pose of surrender "What ain't that the truth? You two hate each other, ne?"

"I don't know about kitsune over there… but I don't hate him."

At that announcement all who were near the bench forgot the ongoing game and turned to look at the red head. All but the kitsune itself… he was staring at the far end of the court instead.

"I never actually hated him… I realized it when I was in hospital. I figured that I was just jealous and that's it… so what is there to be jealous of when I can now play as good as him?"

Everybody was still reeling from shock at the words Hanamichi had said. Rukawa had other thoughts. //That ass actually thinks that he is as good as me… what an idiot… but isn't he… he pays well… he may play well but he has no right to look down on me//

"Why were you in hospital?" asked Mitsui after regaining his wits.

"Ain't it obvious? *Hanamichi softly touched his neck and carefully fingered his scar* (the scar was on the left side of his neck… it was close to four inches long and was slightly slanted) On the day I found out that I was moving to the States I had a fight with my mother and ran out… I got lost and got involved in a fight with a gang… the leader pulled out a knife and slashed my throat… I would have died hadn't it been for Max… though it was also his fault that I had got into the situation" concluded Hanamichi with a slight chuckle.

"Who's Max and why didn't we know about this?" asked Ayako worriedly.

"Don't' worry… I am fine… I told Yohei and the gundam not to tell anybody" after which he proceeded to tell Ayako and the rest about Max… his friend… the guy who had taught him the intricacies of the game. At the end of the account Hanamichi looked at Rukawa "Truce?" holding his hand out.

"D'aho, I hate you… dream on!" spat out Rukawa in a deadly tone. He stood up and walked to the locker room leaving Hanamichi there… still with the hand in mid-air.

end of part 5

- fanfictions -