- fanfictions -

Title: Time will tell
Author: F5C
Rating: PG for now
Posted: Fanfiction.net (not yet there… my account is screwed up… that or my comp,… but as soon as it is possible it will be posted there too)
E-mail: chatterbox_shil@yahoo.com

Part 9

Two weeks had passed and the details of the locker room incident still remained a mystery to everyone except for the two who were involved. Talking about those two… more changes had taken place… some good… some bad. Rukawa was back to his old self when it came to passing the ball… it never reached Hanamichi that is. As for Hanamichi… instead of complaining about the kitsune's stupid plays he concentrated more on the game. To Miyagi this was a good thing… less bickering… but he hated the fact that once again they were back to square one when it came to the team chemistry between their two star players. He wasn't sure how to handle the situation and ever so often he and Ayako would ask their three seniors to come back and maybe help them out. As for Anzai sensei… he kept on watching the two sophomores going at it in silence... but finally he decided to step in and handle the matter.

"Sakuragi kun, Rukawa kun… could you come here for a minute"

There was pin drop silence as everybody's eyes followed the two sophomores.

"Oyagi" greeted Hanamichi and with that he stood beside the coach and started with the chin pulling thing.

Rukawa watched in silence and a few seconds later the red head was lying on the floor groaning in pain. Two steaming lumps appeared on his head… one from Gori's fist and the other from Ayako's fan. "Oh oh oh oh!" laughed Anzai sensei... causing Rukawa to sweatdrop due to the whole ridiculousness of the situation. (A/N: some things hadn't changed)

"Rukawa kun… to be the best basketball player in high school you needed to be able to work in a team… you seem to be lacking in that area. And Sakuragi kun… your abilities have dramatically improved and once again you are a very important factor to this team but…"

"Of course! I am the Tensai after all… Nyahahaha!" but he was cut off by Akagi who had delivered another Gori punch.

"Itaaa! Gori what did I do now?"

"What did you call me?" bellowed Akagi and soon enough another gori punch was delivered.

All this time, Rukawa stood observing the scene before him however, in his mind Anzai sensei's words kept on repeating themselves. ( …needed to be able to work in a team… you seem to be lacking in that area…) //I'll never be able to be the best unless I cooperate

with that d'aho// he cringed at the idea but he knew that there was a ring of truth to the whole statement. //But if I cooperate with him… he'll look down on me once again// As he thought things through he finally realized that it was better for both himself and the team if would cooperate with that d'aho so finally the decision was made.

"Hai sensei! I shall try!" answered Rukawa out of the blue… everybody who was watching the ongoing squabble between Hanamichi and Akagi turned to stare at the blue eyed boy. Immediately Hanamichi got serious and he stopped bickering and walked over to Anzai sensei and said "Oyagi… don't worry if that stupid kitsune will try then I the Tensai will definitely be able to… Nyahahah!"

"D'aho"

"Teme kitsune!"

"…"

"Kitsune don't ignore the Tensai"

Rukawa didn't answer realizing that the red head's tone was one of pure irritation and not one of rage… //It definitely was safe to ignore him now… funny how I can so easily read him now and know when things are safe and when they aren't… I wonder when I actually started noticing these things out… hmm…// and with that he walked towards the locker room ignoring the rest of the insults and complaints.

Hanamichi hurled insults whilst watching the retreating figure, somehow or rather he felt good even though he was being ignored. To him it was like things were back to normal and once again he could be himself… not the controlled one he had been for the past two weeks. He still despised the kitsune but he was really glad that things were back to normal once again and with that he finally stopped with the insults and headed towards the locker room with a grin plastered on his face.

His seniors watched in agony as Rukawa ignored Sakuragi… they were just so sure that another fight was going to break out… and you can imagine their surprise when Sakuragi didn't start a fight but instead walked towards the locker room with a grin on his face. As for Anzai sensei… he just responded with his usual 'Santa Claus' laugh.

~*~

So a week later the team chemistry had definitely improved. The Rukawa versus Sakuragi one-on-ones took place everyday and yes… the team was a whole lot stronger... thanks to the seriousness of both Rukawa and Sakuragi who kept to their vows to try and not fight with one another… this obviously did not include the bickering which still went on as per usual.

It was the day before the final match of the qualifying round of the IH tournament… they were going to be playing against Ryonan and everybody knew that it was going to be a tough match. They were all determined to be first this time around and they were going to go to the IH tournament once again.

~*~

"Excuse me… is this the basketball practice?"

Ayako turned to stare at the person who had spoken to her in English. She was taken aback with the sight which greeted her eyes.

"Yes this is. Can we help you in some way?" asked Kogure politely as he was the first to recover from shock.

"Is the practice going to finish anytime soon?"

"Hai… it has actually finished… but the ex-captain and the current captain of the team are talking to the players for a while before they are dismissed" answered Mitsui. He eyed the girl in front of him openly… and she didn't seem to mind. She was… gorgeous! She was nearly as tall as him and well… she looked liked a model. Her glossy black hair which had a few red highlights complimented her chocolaty skin and her huge green eyes.

"Oh… thank you for your help… can I stay and wait?"

"Yeah… sure thing" answered Haruko as she too stared at the girl.

"Are y'all part of the team?"

"Hai! These two guys use to be members but they have graduated from school and they just come over ever so often to visit. As for me I am the manager of the team and she is the assistant manager"

"Ah! That means that you are… Aya… uh… yeah! Ayako and you are Haruko right?"

They stared at her dumbfounded and listened as she continued "You would be Kogure… right? You're the only one who wears specs in the team and that would mean you are… Mitsui… you couldn't be Akagi… from what I heard he's huge and resembles a gorilla… and I didn't mean that as an insult, that's just what I was told" she ended looking at Haruko.

"Ano… who are you exactly? And how do you know us?" asked an extremely amused and shocked Ayako, however the girl in front of her just smiled. Before she could answer they heard a roar coming from the huddle and that marked the end of the pep talk. Everybody turned to look at the dispersing group. The girl had finally zoomed in on the correct person and with that her smile widened and her eyes twinkled with mischief and joy.

"Hana-kun" she shouted.

The pep-talk was over. Tomorrow would be the day they became first and proved their strength… he knew deep down that they were stronger then Ryonan as long as they could work as a team. He was deep in thought and dispersed with the rest of the members. Then he heard the shout… he knew that voice… and with that he turned and stared. He was rooted to his position… he couldn't believe what he was seeing and so he just stayed put blinking his eyes a couple of times in confusion. Finally after quite sometime he walked towards the girl and in a hushed whisper said "Sam?"

"Hana-kun" she shouted and with that she launched herself onto his body encircling her arms around his neck, twining her legs around his waist and hugging him tightly.

Everybody in the court had stopped what they were doing and now all of them watched in shock as the scene unraveled before their eyes. The four at the bench who had first spoken to the girl stared at the two at a lost for words. Even Rukawa had stopped in mid stride so as to observe the commotion. The only few who weren't quiet were the Sakuragi gundam who kept on whistling and shouting. However if everybody thought that that was the last surprise for the day… they were wrong. Instead of Sakuragi blushing furiously and sputtering out words as he usually did with Haruko… all he did was encircle his arms around the girl and bury his head in her hair. This was the last straw and with that everybody's jaw dropped to the floor. Rukawa on the other hand still had his cool façade in place… however he wasn't able to turn away and continue to the locker room… thus he just stayed put and stared along with everybody else.

"Oh mi god! Hana-kun… it is so good to see you again. It's been so long… everybody has missed you and then it was my birthday the other day and well you weren't there and I missed you as well… and my parent's anniversary was also there and again you weren't there and we missed you so much… can you believe that my parents finally admitted that they missed you. I nearly had a heart attack when they said it. Lunch is not as fun as it was when you were with us… remember how you use to…" and she was cut off by Hanamichi who gave out a small laugh.

"I see that you still talk as much as you use too!" he said with a grin "and I missed you as well" and with that he gave her another hug.

"Kami-sama Sakuragi… you're speaking perfect English and you have a girlfriend" said Miyagi who was still reeling from the shock.

"Hai… I had to learn it when I was overseas and as for my girl…" but he was cut off by a very eager Sam who continued his statement for him "I am not his girlfriend… I am just his close friend" Once again everybody was shocked by the girl in front of them. Finally Hanamichi broke the silence and in Japanese he said "You speak Japanese?"

"Hai! I decided to learn it"

"Why?"

"Cause you are Japanese… and well when I came over I couldn't possibly have you next to me 24/7 so I decided to study Japanese… it's easier for communication. Your mom taught me… just thought I'd tell you"

"Oh… how's my mom?"

"She's fine and like I said everyone is missing you" at this comment he snorted

"What it is the truth!"

"What are you doing here… but before you answer that could you please let go of my arm" said Hanamichi a light tinge of red gracing his cheeks.

"Why Hana-kun? Aren't I beautiful enough? Or are you gay" she said while performing a small twirl in front of his eyes.

"Ano… you are beautiful and no! I am not gay!" answered Hanamichi

"Doesn't this seem like a bit of déjà vu?" interfered another gravelly voice.

Everybody turned to look at the person who had spoken. The guy standing at the doorway was a bit shorter than Hanamichi but he was absolutely handsome.

"Max! What are you guys doing here" exclaimed Hanamichi as he tried his level best to go to him but Sam was still attached to his arm "Ano… Sam my arm"

"Nope! I am not letting go" grumbled Sam mocking the behavior of a four year old child.

Hanamichi sighed in exasperation and finally Max had walked towards him. They shook hands and proceeded to give each other hugs. "What are you doing here… and why are you limping?"

"Well… we are here to support you for tomorrows game and the rest of the IH. You have obviously made it in and don't worry bout tomorrows game you'll beat them" he said with a grin "As for my limp… I tore my ligament in a game and was suspended from playing the rest of the season… we lost to a school in New York and well we aren't going to the finals this year… so we both decided to take a month and a half study break and come and support you for your games" he ended, grin still on his face.

"Thanks… and uh Max could you please ask your sister to let go of me"

"Sam!"

"Fine! But I can't help it… I am just so happy seeing you again" she answered finally letting go of his arm.

Hanamichi turned when he heard someone clearing their throat… he then remembered that he was in the gym with the whole team and as the realization hit him a light blush creeped over his cheeks.

"So?" asked Ayako curiously.

"So what?" answered Hanamichi innocently, but by now Akagi, Kogure, Mitsui and Miyagi had approached the guy and they were introducing themselves.

"So you're Max… the guy who helped Sakuragi out! It's a pleasure meeting you" said Kogure.

"It definitely is! He talked so much about y'all" and was interrupted by Sam who had now joined the conversation "Yeah… he showed us all the pictures he had of the team and told us everything about you guys… that's how I knew who you were"

"Ah… I get it and you are?" asked Mitsui.

"Samantha and this is my brother Max. Hmm… *eyeing the guys in font of her* you would be Miyagi a.k.a. Ryochin, the point guard*pointing to Miyagi* and well you are definitely Akagi a.k.a 'Gori'… thus you are therefore definitely Mitsui a.k.a Micchy an ex gangster and the cute guy" she said winking at Mitsui as she ended.

Mitsui was stunned at her frankness and as for Akagi he softly inquired "Gori?"

"Hai! He said that you looked like a gorilla and always talked about your um… 'Gori' punches!" she said excitedly

"SAKURAGI!" Akagi bellowed then delivered a 'Gori' punch.

"Sam!" Sakuragi whinned whilst she laughed at his expression and Max cringed at the thought of the punch.

"Oi! Hana-kun… Hurry up! We going out for dinner… and you have to come… so go and change already" said Samantha

"I can't!"

"Huh? Why not?"

"I got a one-on-one now… maybe after that."

"Sure! Hey I got it! Why not you guys come? We can have fun at his expense and trade info about Hana-kun. Also I want to get to know y'all better. So?"

This was met with enthusiastic replies from everybody at the group.

"Hey… isn't there suppose to be another one of y'all?" asked a slightly confused Max.

"Oh yeah! The fox! The other cutie in the team!" Sam answered grinning. This was met with quite a few complaints from his fan brigade "Oh! And that means they are the shinietai, right?" she said excitedly.

"He really did tell you everything, didn't him?" stated Ayako pleasantly.

"Yup he did! We talked a lot about y'all cause he missed y'all… he really missed y'all"

By now Hanamichi had turned as red as his hair.

"So where's the fox? He is suppose to be the ace right?" inquired Max.

"He's over there… we are going to be having a one-on-one now… stay and watch" answered Hanamichi whilst pointing to they guy standing in the middle of the court staring at them.

"Oh wow! He is cute… but he still ain't as cute as you Hana-kun!" stated Sam and once again she was greeted with complaints from the fan brigade.

"Why do I get the feeling they don't like me that much?" asked Samantha innocently with big puppy dog eyes. Everybody laughed at her statement and as for Hanamichi he was already heading towards the court saying "How about this… we'll meet at seven at Danny's"

Everybody agreed and they finally dispersed.

Hanamichi turned once again so as to see if his two friends were fine and he smiled at the sight that greeted him. The gundam had finally gone over and was introducing themselves. Max and Sam were so happy to finally meet them that they hugged everybody. Hanamichi overheard Max talking to Yohei "So you're Yohei… his best friend… I am so happy to finally meet you." Hanamichi could see the shock on Yohei's face but as soon as it had settled down he accepted the two with open arms and soon enough they all were talking like good friends.

Rukawa looked at the guy in front of him. He was still reeling from shock of seeing Hanamichi with a girl but not blushing… and Hanamichi talking perfect English… and Hanamichi hugging that guy… and a whole lot of other unHanamichi like things. But he was totally unprepared for what happened next.

Hanamichi turned around and he was smiling… it wasn't the usual Tensai smile… this was one of pure happiness and it reached his eyes which were now sparkling with delight. Rukawa felt his breath catch and he just stared at the red head in front of him.

"Oi… Rukawa… you are also invited to this dinner… could you please come?" asked Hanamichi softly as he stared at the boy in front of him. Yes he hated him… but still… some part of him wanted Rukawa to be there… he wanted Max and Sam to see them as a team… the whole complete one… and that included Rukawa. He waited in agony as the boy in front of him just stared at him with his usual icy blue orbs.

"D'aho" Rukawa heard Hanamichi sigh… it was a sigh of defeat… and the sadness that was now filling the red head's eyes was affecting him. He felt guilty for taking away the happiness which had previously filled those chocolaty depths. "I'll come" Hanamichi looked up at Rukawa and smiled again… another smile of pure happiness only this time it had been meant for Rukawa. He felt a tingle on seeing that smile again and knowing that it was for him but still with his cold façade in place he muttered "D'aho" but instead of hearing the normal retorts Hanamichi greeted him with another one of his smiles.

end of part 9

- fanfictions -