- fanfictions -

Title: Time will tell
Author: F5C
Rating: PG for now
Posted: Fanfiction.net (not yet there… my account is screwed up… that or my comp,… but as soon as it is possible it will be posted there too)
E-mail: chatterbox_shil@yahoo.com

Part 10

"Shit! I can't believe we overslept! And that idiot didn't even wake us up! Idiot! I am gonna kill him when I see him!"

"Sam relax! He just didn't want to disturb us… he was being considerate"

"Yeah! Considerate my ass! We fly all the way here to support him for this game, we finally managed to get tickets and what happens… he let us oversleep! That idiot!"

"Sam… why not you go on ahead and get us a seat… I can't hurry up with my foot… you might as well not miss the game… anywayz I think it is ending… the last ten minutes if I am right… go on ahead… get me a seat, I'll catch up with you" and with that Max watched his sister dash to the next entrance and barge in, he continued hobbling to the entrance slowly hoping he would be able to catch at least the end of the game.

She was so pissed off! She couldn't believe that he hadn't woken them up. Samantha was so engrossed with her thoughts that she didn't observe the approving looks which all the guys seemed to shower on her… instead she strained looking for two seats. //Perfect two seats right up front! Perfect!// she hurried down the stairs and finally on reaching the seats she turned to talk to the guy in the next seat "Ano… are these seats taken?"

Kiyota heard someone addressing him and he pulled his eyes away from the game at hand to answer her. "No… these seats are free"

"Ah… arigato gozaimasu!" and with that the girl sat down. "Uh… is something wrong?"

Kiyota snapped out of it and stopped staring at the girl then replied "Iie… it just that you don't look like you're from around here"

"Is it that obvious" replied the girl shyly.

"Yes… but you speak perfect Japanese… though… it does have a tinge of an accent"

"Yeah… I am from America… name's Samantha… but everybody calls me Sam"

"Ah… I am Kiyota"

"Glad to meet ya… so how's the game so far"

"We are actually doing fine… Rukawa and Sakuragi are playing well… and together they are kind of unbeatable"

"Ah Mitsui sempai! Ohayo! That's great I better start cheering for them" just as Sam turned to start taking off her jacket she spotted the other two seniors "Ohayo Akagi sempai and Kogure sempai!"

"You know them?" asked a slightly confused Kiyota.

"Hai, they use to be in team Shohoku… friends of one of my close friends" she answered whilst shrugging off her jacket.

At that moment the crowd went wild as Miyagi had managed to steal the ball and pass it to Rukawa. Sendoh immediately appeared in front of Rukawa, Rukawa performed a fake and passed the ball to Sakuragi who then proceeded to perform a three pointer. The crowd went wild as the ball swished into the net. Sam jumped out of her seat and yelled "Go Hana-kun! Ike Ike Shohoku… Ote Ote Shohoku! Go Hana-kun! Go Hana-kun!"

Hanamichi heard the faint yelling of his nickname and he looked up and quickly scanned the crowd. As soon as he laid eyes on the girl he noticed the shirt she was wearing. It was a simple white T-shirt but on the front it had the number ten printed in red on it and Hana-kun written at the base of the number. Happiness spread through him and he responded with a smile and a wink.

"So what did I miss?"

"Hana-kun just shot a three-pointer" answered Sam as she and her brother settled down in their seats.

"What? A three pointer? Where'd he learn that?"

"You mean you didn't teach him?" asked Kogure slightly confused by Max's reaction.

"Hell no… I'm a point guard not a three point shooter… truth be told that that is the one thing I suck at"

"Really… did he learn it there… from someone else?" inquired Mitsui

"No… when he left he didn't know how to shoot three pointers… hell! He was just getting the hang of dunks and free throws."

"I guess that baka has finally become serious bout the game!" responded Akagi a slight grin tugging at his lips.

"Guess so" agreed Mitsui, Kogure and Max.

"Of course he has! After all he is the Tensai ne? Ore wa Tensai, Basketoman Sakuragi Hanamichi" added Sam enthusiastically whilst launching into his Tensai song.

"I can't believe it you're actually friends with that red hair monkey?" said a very surprised Kiyota.

"Hai! He is my saviour… and well… he is like a brother to me" answered Sam whole heartedly.

"Woi Sam! Nice shirt!" commented Mitsui.

"You like it? It is especially for Hana-kun! Actually I have one like this also for my brother… only the number is fourteen and if I am right that's your number as well, ne?"

replied Sam cheekily.

"Hey Kiyota… you called Hana-kun red hair monkey, ne?"

"Yeah… it is a nickname… why?

"That means you are the wild monkey from Kainan right? He use to talk about you and the old man whenever he spoke about bball there"

"I am not old!" yelled a guy from behind Kiyota.

"Huh?" Sam said whilst Kiyota and the rest sweatdropped.

"He is Maki… he use to be the captain of Kainan. Maki… this is Samantha and Max… they are Sakuragi's close friends" said Mitsui.

"Oh! That explains it! So you are the old man! *giggle* Nah forget that… hey I am Sam… it's a pleasure meeting you!"

"Likewise" grunted Maki to the girl in front of him who was still giggling.

At that point, Ryonan had scored a goal and the crowd went wild cheering for Ryonan. Samantha on the other hand started cheering wildly for Shohoku and Hanamichi. The guys were stunned by the strength of her voice as she was still heard over the crowd

"She's a cheerleader… they all have a strong pair of lungs" said Max answering the unspoken question.

~*~

He stepped out of the shower stall clad with a towel round his waist and looked at his reflection. He stood there staring at the person looking back at him, his mind still reeling from the events which had just occurred.

FLASHBACK

The 1st team is Shohoku high. The stadium erupted in shouts and screams. Miyagi and Sakuragi went to claim the award.

The top 5 players in the Kanagawa district are Sendoh Akira, Sakuragi Hanamichi, Rukawa Kaede, Kiyota Nobuguna, and Hasegawa Takeshi.

END OF FLASHBACK

He was one of the top five //Of course I am one of the best… I am the Tensai after all//

This was the moment he had been waiting for… he had proved himself to everyone… he was one of the best… then why did he feel 'off'?

//I am the Tensai… of course I did this… only a Tensai could do this//

He focused at the reflection at hand and stared in the brown depths. //I did it! I am one of the best… I did it like I said I would… now Haruko-chan will see me on the same plane as that Kitsune. I should feel happy *frowning at his reflection* I mean I did it all for her… Haruko-chan… I joined the club… I learnt the game… I became one of the best for her… I should be bursting with joy. *forehead creases into a deeper frown* I am one of the best in Kanagawa… why isn't that good enough… I mean I am as good as that Kitsune… but he wants to be one of the best in Japan//

Rukawa had stepped back into the shower area to get his shirt which he had accidentally left in the stall. He stopped at the sight that greeted him. Sakuragi stood in front of the mirror staring at himself totally oblivious to his surroundings… in a world of his own. With only a towel at his waist covering his lower body the overall effect was stunning. Droplets of water trickled down from his fiery red hair onto his back where they outlined his finely toned muscles. His hair was a tad bit longer then when it had been when he first returned… it pooled at his shoulders still damp from the shower. His bandaged hadn't been put on yet… so the scar was visible. His brow was creased in a deep thoughtful frown and his brown eyes stared at his reflection as if looking for an answer. With the scar in place he looked perfect for the role of a Hollywood gangster but the brown depths contradicted the first impression. Depths always filled with innocence and eagerness were now filled with curiosity and wonder as he continued in that world of his own. The eyes widened and Rukawa thought that he had been spotted… he was a goner.

//The best in Kanagawa isn't good enough… I have to be the best full stop. I have to be like that stupid Kitsune… I must be no. 1 in Japan… I have to be// He finally realized it. Basketball wasn't just a method of impressing Haruko anymore… it was part of life… part of him //Though it would be nice if Haruko-chan would forget bout that Kitsune and maybe come out with me// and with a contented sigh he turned around only to be met with two icy orbs.

Rukawa's body tensed as he now saw the red head's full frontal appearance. A few stray strands of shorter hair stuck to his forehead and once again his eyes were filled with the mischief and eagerness of a four year old. The fiery red hair contrasted greatly with the gentle brown depths… showing him for what he really was, a short tempered d'aho with a heart of gold and the brain of a bird ( J ) He knew that he should do something… it wasn't good to stare like this… especially not at a guy… especially not when that guy was the red head.

Hanamichi stared at the fox-eyed boy in front of him… he was shocked to see him still here… he had thought he had gone out with Ryochin and the rest to celebrate (F5C shakes head… looks at Rukawa "yup he does have the brain of a bird" *sigh*.) without another moment wasted thinking about the fox eyed boy… Hanamichi walked right past him back into the locker area.

Rukawa was stunned that Sakuragi hadn't beaten him up for staring at him like that… maybe that d'aho didn't realize it after all. He reentered the locker area with his soaked shirt in one hand and proceeded to pack his bag.

"Oi Kitsune! It was a good game ne?"

"…"

"Hmm… hate to admit it but we do play well with each other"

On hearing this comment Rukawa instantaneously stopped what he was doing and snapped around to stare at the red head. Sakuragi was sitting on the bench with one shoe in his hand but instead of putting them on… he was staring at Rukawa. They stared at each other for a few moments in utter silence as if trying to read the other's thoughts and finally Rukawa snapped out of it with his usual d'aho. Sakuragi smirked "So you going to Enigma"

"…"

"We're celebrating our victory there… ya know you should come… after all this is also your victory."

Rukawa whirled around to stare at the red head. Sakuragi kept on talking whilst wearing his shoes and finishing his packing up.

"So are you going to keep staring at the Tensai like that… or are you coming? I think we'll be the last ones out of here, might as well go together… god knows, you may sleep on the way there and bump into a tree or what not… then you won't be able to celebrate."

"D'aho"

"Baka kitsune! I am not going to argue with you today… we won this thing together and we might as well celebrate it together ne?"

Rukawa stared at the red head in front of him disbelievingly. This was a side of Sakuragi that he had never seen before… he seemed more mature //Am I okay… I think the high of the victory is getting to me… that red head mature? Yeah and pigs fly! But he just admitted that we play well together and he was just trying to persuade me to go for that stupid celebration… saying that I'd earned it. This wasn't the same rash, immature, loud *winced as the red head shouted at him* maybe he is still loud… but there's something// he shook his head as he was starting to get a headache.

"If you continue shaking your head like that it's going to fall off. Hmm… you better stop otherwise how will the tensai be able to defeat a headless you?"

"D'aho"

"You know… you really should do something about your vocabulary… d'aho isn't the only word that exists you know… for example there is baka… urusai… hentai… oh and not to forget kitsune… ah and my favorite Tensai…"

A blabbering Hanamichi walked out of the locker room followed by an extremely confused Rukawa, who mind you still had his façade in place. As they exited the stadium Hanamichi turned round to stare at it. The corners of his mouth turned upwards into a heartfelt smile. //So this is where it all started// "Oi Kitsune! The Tensai is going to defeat you and that smiley and become the best player in Japan"

"D'aho" but as he replied Rukawa was reeling in shock as he realized that Sakuragi was now just as serious about basketball as he was.

"Sakuragi-kun" a sweet voice chirped.

"Ah! Haruko-chan… aa… what are you doing here? Why aren't you at Enigma?" inquired Hanamichi with hearts in his eyes.

"Ano… I wanted to keep you company to Enigma. You played really well today Sakuragi-kun. You have really improved" she said looking at him.

"Ah! Of course! I am the Tensai after all! Nyahahaha!"

"D'aho"

"Teme Kitsune!"

"Ne… Rukawa you played well too!"

Hanamichi whirled around when Haruko said this but his heart melted with the sight that he saw… no more did a red tinge caress Haruko soft cheeks… instead she looked perfectly normal… as if she was talking to anybody. Together the three of them walked to Enigma.

As predicted Rukawa fell asleep, however thanks to the presence of Hanamichi he didn't collide into anything. Throughout the whole journey Hanamichi and Haruko were deep in conversation talking about anything. They started off with the basketball match but soon enough they were talking about Haruko when she was a kid and then Hanamichi when he was in America and finally about Sam and Max. //Hmm… that's good he only thinks of her as a sister. Huh? Why am I bothered whether or not Sakuragi-kun likes Sam or not… it's not like I like him… no I like Rukawa-kun *glancing at Rukawa* But who could like him… he doesn't talk to anyone and he has been so mean to me *thinking about the first day at the rooftop* Sakuragi has always been there for me… ohmigod! I like Sakuragi-kun// and with that she blushed.

"Haruko-chan daijobou?"

"Ah? Oh! Nothing! I am fine!" she answered still blushing.

They had reached Enigma.

end of part 10

Ohmigod… I hate the way I wrote Haruko's realization!! It sounds so lame *bangs head on table a la Hanamichi* "Itai!!" Sorry lah I had to end it!! if not I think it wud have ended up being like twelve pages or so… too long for my liking!!

If you thinking of the OOC-ness of Hanamichi… I got a perfectly logical explanation for it showing no OOC-ness. At that point Hanamichi is in a state of utter happiness… think bout it… he has just realized how important the game is and he has finally been acknowledged as one of the best… if I were him even I wud be on cloud nine… hell! I'd face the devil with a smile!! *sigh* "Oi Hana-kun stop letting it get to your ego!! Soon enuf you won't be able to walk with your head inflating up like that!!" *THWACK* hits Hanamichi on the head… *swoosh* (ego deflates… sound of air coming out)

Anyhoo………. Pls R&R
I mean it… I really need the support… me starting to feel unconfident all over again
*sigh*
hopefully you liked it!!
tell me what you think… k??

- fanfictions -